Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HKSAR passport for baby born in HK?

bagel is offline Registered User

HKSAR passport for baby born in HK?

Hello,

I read the government website about birth certificate for HK born babies and I understand that they automatically have right of abode or permanent residency status until they are 21. After which they have to apply for it and get it again? Is my understanding correct?
    My son will have a EU passport through his father who is also a Permanent Resident of HK. My question is: does HK issue a HKSAR passport to babies born here? If so, is there any advantage for my son to carry a HKSAR passport as well (since this EU country allows dual citizenship)?
    Thanks for any insights.

Gemma is offline Registered User

I'm in the process of applying for an sar passport. My son also has an Australian passport but everytime he travels we have to bring his original birth certificate to get re entry into hk, it's a real pain. I know there is some sort of re entry permit you can apply for as well to go into the foreign passport but I thought I might as well get him the sar passport.

There are about 4 forms I have to fill in though.

carang is offline Registered User

babies born to a chinese citizen who is also a PR of hong kong are eligible for an HKSAR passport.

if neither you nor your husband are chinese, you are NOT entitled to the passport.

Last edited by carang; 03-09-2012 at 05:25 PM.

bagel is offline Registered User

Thanks for the clarification regarding HKSAR passport. But babies born here to foreign parents have permanent residency automatically, correct? And is this on their national passport, since they don't get a HKID until age 11?

no, they don't. if parents are on a work visa, then they need to apply for a dependent visa.

i'm not sure how it works for PRs who are not chinese...i'm not sure if baby needs to get dependent visa first and then after 7 years apply for PR like everyone else or what. (i don't think that they are automatically PRs too... but I could be wrong)

if i were you, i would contact immigration directly. they are the only ones who can give you the definitive answers to all of your questions.

you've piqued my interest now... i'm going to root around the Immig website to see if i can find more information...

ok, it seems that if the parents are NOT chinese but ARE PR, then baby may be eligible for ROA, too!

it is under point (v) but parents may be required to fill out a form declaring that HK is the child's primary home

link is here:http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...fyeligible.htm

peainpod is offline Registered User

On the HKSAR passport application, they also ask if you hold any other passports. If you answer yes, then I believe they won't give you a SAR one (happened to a friend of mine).

but, if neither you nor hubby are chinese, you'll not get an hksar passport anyway.... so really, a moot point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast