Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Lego classes

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelelf View Post
    which i wonder which is worse. buy him one or build :/
    Building is much better and more fun.
    When my kids were around 5-6, I taught them how to whittle and over time they made some really neat weapons. Very good for the imagination as well as hand eye co-ordination.

marie313 is offline Registered User

Im sorry if i sounded sarcastic, i just get frustrated with the 'extra curricular' trend in hong kong. parents are spending soooo much money on sending their kids to classes for things that, when i was a kid, parents just did themselves. when i was little, my mum did cooking with us, art, we went for walks, played games. sometimes *gasp* she did nothing with us and we were expected to entertain ourselves. I was one of 4 kids, and we learned excellent skills like taking turns and waiting, sometimes we fought and then we made up, all important life skills! I have 2 children and i do the same with them, they don't go to any extra curricular classes (apart from ballet once a week for my eldest) and they are happy, sociable and well adjusted. They work hard at school and play hard at home!
    Don't you worry that when your children become adults they are going to have a really hard time because there will be no-one to constantly entertain them or tell them what to do next? Perhaps this could be a reason for their short attention span?
    I get it that these classes can be fun or educational, but so can you! it seems like parents no longer trust in themselves to be their child's educator.
    Sorry for the rant, but you know what they say, better out than in!

solidstars is offline Registered User

new play centre in mei foo also offers lego classes, can't recall name of the place though, i think near phase 1

pixelelf is offline Registered User

we went for a trial yesterday at ctworkshop in happy valley. my 4 year old son loved it! im very impressed. it was more than just lego, it inspires young minds to invent and empowers them with skills to build through lego.

there were other older kids below 10 years old. some were on the computers, some were building small lego robots. all the kids including mine, were in the same classroom, with different instructors, yet not distracted, were enjoying their lessons. it was as if, groups of young inventors all huddled up together, creating! the energy was amazing.

the instructor was very engaging. i have not seen anyone like him in ANY of the schools or extra curriculars we've signed up for. he was able to encourage them to be imaginative, express their thoughts, expand their vocabulary, guide them to build. teach them different roles of lego blocks, pulleys, nuts and swings. he was able to enter their play world and bring them back to reality to build. there was alot of laughter and pretend play.

im glad i was able to see how the class was conducted. i would not have known how to engage my son in such a fun manner like the teacher did. it was a very interesting and humbling experience for me.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User

Thanks, Pixelelf - that's great to know. I'd already enrolled my eldest two in a trial class (scheduled for tomorrow). I'm hoping they enjoy it just as much your son did.

rani is offline Administrator

My guy loves CTworkshop too.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

Rani : Isnt your guy too old for CTW? I thought CTW was for much younger kids...Perhaps I should consider my 9YO

rani is offline Administrator

No HC he likes building the mechanical sets. They have the blue prints on the computer.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast