Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Lego classes

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User

Lego classes

Does anyone know if there are any Lego education classes in new territories or Kowloon? Know a couple of them in central, but that's too far for us to travel.
    Took my 4 yo to children's technology workshop in cwb for a couple of classes and she was very much into it. So wanted to enrol her into a regular class, if something similar is available around.
    Thanks.

cyf
    cyf is offline Registered User
    There are some lego classes in Kowloon but they are in Chinese.....
    http://www.roboedu.hk/v2/index.php?o...ask=view&id=35

marie313 is offline Registered User
    wow i've got a crazy idea - why don't you teach her yourself? I don't understand why you need to send your child to a class to learn how to play with lego!!! all you have to do is get a brick, and put it on top of another brick. If you want to get fancy, you can follow the instructions included! BOOM - you just saved yourself a few thousand dollars.

thanks cyf. will check this out.

thanks marie313 for the idea. Do you think anyone i would have started looking for something without trying it at home? Well,i have tried this with my lo at home and have found that she doesn't like to follow the steps with me and after 5 minutes she wants to play with some other toy. My basic requirement is to somehow help her to increase her concentration at what she is doing. Right now she cannot concentrate at one thing for more than 4-5 minutes and then starts looking around for other tasks. And there is nothing better than lego for this purpose. Took her to a couple of lego classes in causeway bay which i bought on groupon and found that she could sit there for one hour playing or making with lego as there was nothing else around except blocks. Actually it depends a lot on the environment around. Anyways thanks again for your suggestion...

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    Hi Shwetakhanna
    I'm also thinking of enrolling my 6-yr-old in the Children's Technology Workshop as he loves Lego, and I think the engineering class will take his interest to a new level. The programme looks really good. Glad to hear your little one enjoyed it.

Marie313: your answer to Shwetakhanna seemed rather sarcastic and unhelpful. It might be a valid question, but could have been phrased in a less judgmental way. You say you don't understand why someone would need to send their child to a Lego class. Let me enlighten you... Of course my 6-year-old can do Lego at home (and loves the Lego kits). He can sit there for 90 minutes at a time following the steps. But if he gets stuck or makes a mistake, he wants immediate attention which I can't also give him as I have two other younger children at home. The Lego Workshops can introduce new concepts of pulleys, gears, levers, engines etc. Frankly, it's cheaper to do that in a class than to buy those sorts of expensive kits. Plus, he gets the benefit of working alongside (or even in a team) with other children; and gets the explanations and attention he deserves.

Perhaps with your off-the-cuff reply you hadn't really thought through why a Lego class might be beneficial. It's a little more advanced than putting one brick on top of another. Hope that helps explain.
    shwetakhanna likes this.

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    sorry to hijack this thread, ive been looking at youtube videos for Children's Technology Workshop and found them very interesting too. anyone tried them?

Yes, we have tries CTW, and they are very interesting . In just two classes, my daughter learned what a pulley and a gear is. We took the classes on weekdays evenings and they were not very crowded, two kids with one instructor. Don't know about the weekends , they might be full. You should give it a try. Good luck.

And thanks honkyblues for explaining my point so well.

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    thank you! yea my 4 year old also has very short attention span, but he's been asking me to teach him how to build some complicated blocks aka weapons since we refused to buy toy weapons. which i wonder which is worse. buy him one or build :/

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast