Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lori Ann
  • 1 Post By HannahHK

Montessori Schools

K627 is offline Registered User

Montessori Schools

Montessori Schools
    Hello,
    We are going to move to HK in May of this year. My son who will be 3 this summer currently attends montessori school in the states.
    I am looking for a good montessori school to apply to in HK. There are many that come up in my searches but some are Montessoris only in name (i.e. don't seem to follow the method of teaching).
    Any suggestions on schools? We still do not know where will be living. In fact depending on the school we pick, we will probably find housing near that.
    Thank you in advance for any help and guidance on how to navigate the complicated school info in HK :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

The "best" is meant to be IMS (International Montessori School) - they have two campuses, Tin Hau and Aberdeen. They're both meant to be quite nice. Of course, with it being in Hong Kong, space is limited so the areas will not be as large as the US, and outside areas are limited. Both of those campuses are meant to be quite nice for Hong Kong though. The main "cons" to IMS are a) it's very expensive, and b) it's not so easy to get into.

There are lots of smaller Montessori schools around as well. We are at ICMS (Island Children's Montessori School) in Tin Hau and are quite happy there - but they don't have any outside areas. The fees are average for international schools here - it's more expensive than ESF but not as expensive as IMS for example. It's a newer school and is getting more popular as it was on Tattler's "best kindergartens in Hong Kong" list or something like that. There are heaps of montessori schools though - and it depends on where you will be living etc.

If you want more info on ICMS, please send me a PM. I don't know much more about the others than what I have already posted here.

Lori Ann is offline Registered User

If you intend to live in the Repulse Bay, Stanley, or Tai Tam area, you might want to check out Children's Montessori School in Stanley. It's not flashy-looking, but they are true to the Montessori method. My daughter had a wonderful experience there. Good luck!

as72 likes this.

as72 is offline Registered User

You'll find that all "Woodland Montessori" have nothing whatsoever to do with the concept - we were very disappointed and took our son out after just a couple of months.

The one in Stanley is true Montessori as recommended above.

If you're happy to consider Waldorf education too, there's Highgate House on the Peak, and Garden House in Clearwater Bay (where my 4-year old goes). They both have outdoor play areas, and Garden House organizes regular trips to their very own organic farm.

Neha is offline Banned

IMS has a branch in sheung wan also? Which would be closer to mid levels

HannahHK is offline Registered User

IMS or ICMS

Hi,
    I am planning to move to HK and my son is 4 years old.
    I could not decide whether i should select IMS or ICMS. My location is in TaiKooSing.
    What would you suggest?

Thank you.

melissa27 likes this.