Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Dr Lam (Central) review? 12 week scan and NT scan...

project pea is offline Registered User

Dr Lam (Central) review? 12 week scan and NT scan...

Hi all,

I've booked an appointment with Dr Lam in Central for my 12 week scan next week. He's not my usual doctor but after hearing so many fantastic recommendations about him I thought why not. I'm also going to be having the NT scan that day as well.

I heard that he specializes in Downs testing and although this week I've already tested as low risk at my usual doctor, but just want to know if Dr Lam uses any 'special' techniques or whether the appointment would be just like my usual doctor plus a blood test? I'm asking because I don't know whether it's worth me taking another day off work to attend... Thanks in advance!!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Honestly I wouldn't go for another test unless you have concerns with the results of your first test and want a second opinion. Dr Lam would basically do the same thing over again, but he's good because his equipment is one of the best in town and thus, he does a lot of problem pregnancy scans, which makes him REAL good at them.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I agree with what Leslie just said - he is an excellent doctor for high risk pregnancies and does have some of the highest quality ultrasound equipment in HK. I've had a high risk pregnancy and there is noticeable difference in what the higher quality machines can capture and what regular machines can capture. Dr Lam can apparently do a pretty accurate downs screening via ultrasound for people who want to know but don't want an amniocentesis. That all said, if you're working and need to take an extra day off and already have a "low risk", I probably wouldn't bother.