Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Where can I buy herbs in HK NT?

genkimom is offline Registered User

Where can I buy herbs in HK NT?

OK it may not SEEM like a feeding baby post, but I suffer from chronic low milk supply and I need to try some different galctalogues, as I'm developing resistance to Domperidone and Fenugreek. And there is a possibility Fenugreek is counterproductive for me, but that's another story.

here is my wish list of common herbs/spices that I can't seem to find at my local grocery store but I'm sure is sold somewhere in HK (cheaply if possible):
    anise
    caraway seed
    fennel
    dill seed

and some other galactalogues I'm wishing to get my paws on:
    blessed thistle
    goats rue
    Ashwagandha
    stinging nettle
    vervain
    chasteberry
    black cohosh

I know Motherlove sells an encapsulated blend of many of these herbs, but i was hoping to buy them separately and try them in different combinations to get a good blend for my needs. Their blend doesn't seem to do it for me.

if any of you know where to get these things, I'd be eternally grateful, as would my baby girl!

IMIHK is offline Registered User

Hi Genkimom!

IMI has most of the herbs on your list but some of them will require prescription from the naturopaths.

Hope it helps.

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User

No answer to the part on getting the herbs, but on your chronic low milk supply-Especially in my early bf days I gulped big bowls of soups, big cups of dates tea,lots & lots of fluids daily especially just BEFORE, DURING & AFTER nursing I am usually a heavy water drinker but never in my life did I felt like a water tank as I did And my milk supply was fantastic and there was excess then Another great milk booster I find helpful was the half ripe papaya(easily available here) & fish soup I fled from the sight of it after just a couple of times of it due to the engorgement it caused My confinement lady actually copied the recipe(i got from antenatal class) down for her future projects but I've lost it somehow amidst the whirlwind of a newborn & bf I guess it's easily available online it's very simple to make kinda recipe

Also, I took the advice in the same set of antenatal info mentioned above to avoid consuming the Chinese herb Danggui(angelica root) if I were to breastfeed

Last but not least, I'm sure you r well aware that more bf= more milk and would have very likely observed that

Hope this helps :)

thansk for the reply IMIHK. What /where is IMI?

lovelymum is offline Registered User

Low milk supply

My sis in Singapore give me her postnatal massage therapist website since I'm 2 mth pregnant now. I wish I could able to BF my bb too. My sis told me her therapist really support on breastfeeding and she is very popular there as most mummies success with their breastfeeding with her tips and advise that she will shared. I went to visit her website jamumassage.com and her FB show some veg that helps to increase milk supply.

Editor is offline Administrator

you should be able to get the herbs from an Indian grocery store. There are some in TST, Chung King Mansions. Also in Wanchai on Bowrington Rd, and another on Wood Rd.

IMIHK is offline Registered User

Genkimom, IMI is a clinic for integrated and holistic medicine, located in Central. Our dispensary is the most comprehensive natural dispensary in Hong Kong. We offer a range of natural therapies, medical and holistic practices from both Eastern and Western medical and healing traditions. In fact, we have a pre- and postnatal care program, with practitioners who specialize in breastfeeding issues through naturopathy, traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture or osteopathy.

Not sure posting our address, website, phone, etc is against the forum rule. But if you need more information, please send me a Private Message, or just Google IMI Hong Kong.

Thank you everyone! I will hit up an Indian store and try some of the suggestions on the jamumassage blog.