Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breastmilk collection shells

Merlinmama is offline Registered User

Breastmilk collection shells

Hello again!
    One quick question. I have been trying very hard breastfeeding an feel like my supply is low ( it's been 2 weeks since arrival of LO) when I feed her I leak a lot of milk from the opposite side.anyone tried using breastmilk collection shells? I feel so bad when the milk goes to a waste. I want to collect it. Which one is good?
    Thank you

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I use the ones by medela. What makes you think you have low supply?

Merlinmama is offline Registered User
    Hi evergreen!
    My LO was started on formula supplementation while at the hospital due to some issues during labor due to which she had to be in the incubator for two days. My breast milk came in late about after 9 days. Everytime she feeds she goes of to sleep within 2 mins of latching on and then it is difficult to wake her up. I have to put her down and then she cries n I put her on the other breast. Sometimes this whole process takes one to two hours each time and then within 10 mins she pouts and is looking for my boobies again. This makes me think she is not getting enough milk. I am also trying to pump twice or 3 times but only manage to get maximum 60 cc in a day pumping.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Pumping output is only an indication of how much you can pump, not how much you produce. I would pump between 30cc and 60cc only when I first started so don't be discouraged. Keep trying to nurse your baby. I remember those marathon nursing days. Sometimes I'd nurse on and off continuously for 1.5hrs and only have an hour break before starting all over again! This is normal when you are establishing your supply. I would really recommend that you talk to a lactation consultant if you are truly having supply issues. Supplementing with formula does not help with your supply.

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User
    Hope this might help over here I've just mentioned it in another thread

Especially in my early bf days I gulped big bowls of soups, big cups of dates tea,lots & lots of fluids daily especially just BEFORE, DURING & AFTER nursing I am usually a heavy water drinker but never in my life did I felt like a water tank as I did And my milk supply was fantastic and there was excess then Another great milk booster I find helpful was the half ripe papaya(easily available here) & fish soup I fled from the sight of it after just a couple of times of it due to the engorgement it caused My confinement lady actually copied the recipe(i got from antenatal class) down for her future projects but I've lost it somehow amidst the whirlwind of a newborn & bf I guess it's easily available online it's very simple to make kinda recipe

Also, I took the advice in the same set of antenatal info mentioned above to avoid consuming the Chinese herb Danggui(angelica root) if I were to breastfeed

Last but not least, more bf= more milk:)

Oh, and milk will also drip from another breast too if you are pumping one

bonita is offline Registered User
    My boy's a premie and a lazy nursling. When we first started, he'd latch on, suck for 2 minutes, then fall asleep. And it's hard to wake him up, and I ended up nursing him every 30 minutes for 2-3 minutes each. The doctor suggested pumping & bottle feeding. This way, you can make sure baby has enough to eat, especially the fatty filling hind milk, to last 1.5-2 hours until next feed. We did it for a week. By the time my son is 3 weeks old, he's alert enough to suck for 10 minutes each time and went straight back to the breasts with no nipple confusion.

bonita is offline Registered User
    Oh, and back to your leaking / collection shell question. I just pump & feed simultaneously. This takes a little coordination & some practices, but it's great. The simultaneous stimulation give your baby an easy feed since the pump on the other side help "leak" milk into baby's mouth, and baby's suction helps you get a good pump quantity.

AndreaSB is offline Registered User
    Avent have good shells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast