Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Urine sample for public hospital checkup

tsubasa is offline Registered User

They were even more particular at the clinic in Shatin- had to be the SECOND pee of the morning before you have eaten anything. I brought the pee with me in a glass jar that used to have those bird's nest drink in it and it was perfect sized. Tiny little jar. And put it inside a ziplock bag too. And still HATED bringing it with me. THe worst was when I had appointments in the afternoon and had to carry it to work with me all day! Not like anyone knew, but I just felt gross.

charade is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
    Hi Charade, do you have an idea of how much all of the prenatal checks cost privately? Just an approximate.... I can't get insurance so deciding whether to go private and just pay for it for #2. I know the approximate costs of delivery, but not everything leading up to it...

= sorry to hijack the thread TraceyHat...
    They cost about 600-1000$ a check-up with ultrasound depending on which private doctor you see. For my first baby, I went to Dr. Eric Lee in Central (1000$) and a female doctor in Tseung Kwan O (HK$600). For my second, I was planning to go private so saw Dr. Jimmy Mak at Baptist Hospital (1000$). However, with both babies, I did the public antenatal check-ups too. And I got all the free testing I could get done in the public system. For my second baby delivered in Jan 2012, I paid for the Down's Screening privately (1500$ I think... not sure why since it's offered free in public; I was kind of keen to get the results asap) and the 20-week morphology scan (3000$ in private, no longer offered free in public unless high risk). I was much more chilled out for my second baby and spaced out the visits a lot.

If you want an exact figure of the total cost of antenatal check-ups, I'm going to be doing my bills for insurance so can PM you the figure once I'm done.

I didn't deliver private in the end because my husband was being very iffy due to job stress and I ended up having an emergency c-sec, and had decided that if I had an emergency would go public because the costs in private would jsut spiral out of control for an unplanned thing. I was pretty happy with my experience at public the second time around, maybe because I knew what to expect, plus it was a c-sec so I wasn't so exhausted. I'd suggest if you have financial constraints keep the public option open anyway because really you don't want the stress of counting the costs during your delivery.

charade is offline Registered User

Liquorice, just realised... my job insurance covers upto 10,000$ for a natural delivery. And for my first baby, my claim was around 9000$, with a LOT of antenatal visits because I used to run to the doc every couple of weeks in the first trimester because I was spotting. I had the morphology scan public for my first so you can add 3000$ to that since public won't offer that free now. So, you can expect 10,000$ - 15,000$ (to be safe) for the antenatal part. For both though, I did the initial blood tests in the public system though.

banane76 is offline Registered User

I never did it either! They would remind me, but I just couldn't carry the pee in my bag.

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Thanks Charade. Would appreciate the figure once you've worked it out. My husband's work doesn't cover anything; nor did mine when I was working before #1. You say morphology scan is only high risk now. I think I'd be covered as will be 37 and I recall with my first that because I would be 35 when I delivered I got all the free tests like Down's etc.

Can I ask which public hospital you used last time? I really hated my experience last time (I was at Prince of Wales), but when it comes to weighing up the costs, it can be difficult to justify not going public, just because it can be such an astronomical amount of money...

TraceyHat is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone for your replies!! Just an update: I had my appointment yesterday and I didn't see anyone pulling a sample out of their handbags :) Seems like everyone "forgets" to bring it and just gets the strip and goes off to the bathroom to pee on it. The nurse didn't bat an eyelid when I said I didn't have it, just gave me a test strip and off I went, then took it to show her when done...

mumtobee is offline Registered User

And i brought a sample box, wrote my name date and address. all for a few micro-seconds job. flushed it and threw it in the bin with my name on it...crap!!!! :-/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123