Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Urine sample for public hospital checkup

TraceyHat is offline Registered User

Urine sample for public hospital checkup

Hi all,

Bit of a weird question, but I went the other day and did my registration at Tsan Yuk hospital for antenatal checkups. I have an appointment for a checkup with a doctor next week. They said I should bring a urine sample with to each of my checkups. My problem is that I'm not really sure what to put it in. I've tried looking all over for a small plastic container but can't find anything suitable. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

carang is offline Registered User

i NEVER did it... i would just ask for their "strips" when i got there and do it then and there (well, not quite, i'd go into the washroom first! LOL!). i really didn't want to be carrying around a bottle of urine with me. it was never a problem.

thanka2 likes this.

Liquorice is offline Registered User

I used a little glass jar (small jam jar or something similar). I'd take it with me (empty) and pee in it in the washroom at the clinic, pop the test in, then empty, wash and dry the jar there.

they only need mid-stream, so there is really no need to put it into the jar, when you can just stick the strips into the stream when you are peeing...

thanka2 likes this.

AmyH is offline Registered User

When I went for my first appointment at Prince of Wales hospital I did not bring a sample as I assumed I could do as carang did, but he nurse made me go to the shop (7/11 I think) that was in the hospital and you could buy sterile cups there for urine samples so I did that every time I needed to give one in! They were something like 2 dollars for the container! they looked more like paper cups though and most of the other expectant mums did the same!

how silly! besides, peeing in a cup ain't exactly easy!

glad i'm done with all that stuff...;)

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

You can buy sterile plastic containers meant for specimen at Watson's. If they have difficulty understanding you, just google & show a picture of it. Get mid stream.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

You can buy the small sterile cups for urine collection at all of the pharmacy supply places--the ones that cater to the elderly. But...I'm like carang...I stopped doing that. Because, well, it's nasty to be carrying around your urine in your purse all day. And, the one time I made the effort, the nurse opened up the bottle and for some reason a bubble of urine was at the top and she popped it and then got disgusted at me like I had done that on purpose or something. It was just gross and she made me feel bad about it. She also spilled some on herself and then looked at me like I had a problem. So, from then on I just went in, asked for the strip and took it to the toilette. It's the same thing you do when you take a pregnancy test--it's not really all that difficult and then you don't have to worry about cleaning out a urine cup. They always bothered me about it and told me, "Next time bring your own urine." Each time I compliantly nodded and then ignored their request. Don't worry, they can't "take your birthday away" for not bringing your urine and if you just smile and "act stupid" and do what you want it's not a big deal--and really it doesn't make their job any less convenient--you're the one who has to handle your urine anyway so it's your issue.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast