Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thanks to a stranger and a lesson

satay sue is offline Registered User

Thanks to a stranger and a lesson

Saturday 31st March. Mini and his friend visiting from Singapore (both aged 7) managed to get separated from my friend and I on the Mid-levels escalator. We didn't know where they were for 20 minutes and it was quite distressing. A British man stopped when he saw they were upset, my friend's daughter knew her mother's phone number and the man called my friend (an international call!) to tell us where they were. Panic over! Thank you so very much to the kind man.
    I am now teaching Mini my phone number in the (very unlikely) event that this ever happens again!
    For those who would flame me for "losing" them, they were running ahead on the walk back from IFC, hiding, then jumping out on us. So at first we weren't alarmed when we couldn't see them. It seems they got to the bottom of the escalator - and just kept going! We thought they were hiding somewhere around the Central Market building but they'd gone up. I had called Mr SS who started walking down from our place, hoping that he'd spot them. It was Mr SS who met the man who helped, we didn't get the chance to thank in person.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Scary - I'm always so worried that would happen to me. It would be SO easy to do in Hong Kong. I'm sure it has happened to MANY parents!! My daughter is 3.5 and fiercely independent. She now has an octopus card and I try to make her wear it when we are out (sometimes with more success than others). It has our phone numbers in it, just in case she does get lost. She's too young to know our phone number yet... So glad that your boy and his friend were ok!! Hopefully it taught them a lesson too... thanks for the reminder!!
    satay sue likes this.

carang is offline Registered User
    3.5 isn't too young to know the phone number... if she knows her abc's or any other songs, she can know her phone number.

my kids learned my husband's number in english and chinese when they were around 2-2.5 years old.... it really helps my sanity to know that they know it if they need it.
    satay sue likes this.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    My kids learnt my phone number at around 3 too just by hearing me saying it to people on the phone all the time. I was amazed the first time the eldest recited it to me. If my helper ever needs to contact me when I'm out we always get the kids to call so they are well practised at it.
    satay sue likes this.

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Same here, my son memorized my mobile number at around 3.5yo. I also told him that in case he gets lost, he should look for "another mommy" and ask her to ring the number for him. (I know it was a man who helped SS, but somehow feel like a woman (mommy) might be a better choice.)

carang is offline Registered User
    ps> glad your kids were found safe and sound!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    You know, you're probably right. She's very smart and knows a million songs in both English and Chinese (even though she doesn't even SPEAK Chinese)... I'll have to get on to teaching her that!!

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    Thanks to SS, we now have one other activity to do this Easter break - learn emergency numbers. We've spent the morning writing down & singing mummy's, daddy's &the 999 number. I've taught her how to dial our mobile numbers from the home phone & she'd hear all the funny ringtones from our phone. For practice, she'd go to one room, I'll hide in another & she'd call me up. She was so thrilled to have a chat on the phone! Great productive way to spend a morning.

Your incident has also taught us a valuable lesson. Thanks for sharing.
    satay sue likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast