Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New buggy before move to HK?

vicki_viking is offline Registered User

Also, my son takes after me and is tall/big, so he looks HUGE in some of the less sturdy strollers! Am currently liking Liquorice's answer about loving her ICandy Apple! Will keep thinking/investigating on this one! Oh BTW we are thinking we would probably live outlying islands/new territories, so not central HK.

penguinsix is offline Registered User

Not all MTR barriers are exactly the same size. While there are 'luggage' size built for the handicapped (and can take rather large loads) they are not always available at every exit, and in some places you'll still have steps to get up/down into the station.

For example, I have a McLaren that's pretty narrow. It can fit through the barriers at say Admiralty but it cannot fit through the slightly narrower barriers at Hong Kong / IFC (by the Disneyland ticket office). The difference is literally just 2 inches or so, even though they look almost identical. There is a wheelchair entrance on the other side though and for the Airport Express exit. Basically it just means I have to enter and exit that station a particular way.

papahk is offline Registered User

what ever you decide, get your stroller before you get here, as they really gouge you on the trendy stollers here (the flip side is there are often used stollers in very good cond. from the high end brands here.

as to MTR, every station has at least one wide gate, but as PS says, getting down into the station itself SOMETIMES invovles unavoidable stairs or a very circuitous route...

i would prob avoid a 3 wheel stroller as I wouldn't be comfortable riding the escalator up with it...my opinion

banane76 is offline Registered User

If ur in the outlying islands you could keep your bigger stroller!

MamaTucker is offline Registered User

Hi there, I bought a Maclaren Quest once I arrived here. Previously I had an Air-Buggy (from Japan) 3 wheeler but a 4 wheeler is much easier to manage on escalators and stairs. You also need to go for the lightest one possible as quite often you'll either need to carry it up/down stairs or bump it up/down. The other plus side of Maclaren is that most of the taxi drivers are helpful and know how to collapse and put it back up for you and quite often they will help you in and out of taxis.
    I like the recline feature as my 2 year old will sometimes have a quick nap while we're out and about and it just makes their sleep a little more comfortable.
    At the MTR buggies will not fit through most turnstiles but generally they will have a wider one at one or more exits, failing that they will have a person standing around who can open a wider gate for you somewhere in the station.

At the end of the day, a 4 wheeler is definitely the way to go in HK, but it's just a case of finding one light enough to suit your height.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12