Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

6 weeks Pregnant and panicking

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    Just thought I would update you on the cost for the neonatal unit. Total for 6 days was $250! The nurses and doctors were all wonderful there but luckily baby wasn't really very sick and the admission was more of a precaution than anything else.

Just remember when at the public hospital that it is a no-frills service but it still gets the job done - at a fraction of the price!

charade is offline Registered User
    I think the doctor dropping baby incident was in a private hospital and not a public one, if you're referring to the case that happened in 2011. The public system does not offer scans at every visit...but they are offering the Down's scan free so if you register before week 12-14 they will arrange it for you. If you go after that, as long as you are eligible (ie - hold an HKID card, doesn't have to be permanent residency) and fall within the catchment area, they won't turn you away. They won't arrange the first visit, which is basically a registration, till week 10 no matter how early you call.

claresaunders is offline Registered User
    Hi ladies, i have registered in Queen Mary and they will only do the first check up around week 10-11. So i am going to see a private doctor first to get the reference letter as you need that to take to the public hospital. Sounds like public hospital is quite okay in HK, even though i am still deciding whether to go for private or public. Any suggestions?
    Also if you have any good doctor you know on HK island side, please kindly let me know.

missprincepessa is offline Registered User
    I have heard lots of women recently going public, but spending the money with a midwife service (annerley i think?) for regular check ups which i think is a great idea vs the cost of private. I would do so myself however i have a few medical issues which means i have to schedule a c-section under the care of a obstetrician. YOu refer to 'scans' but as you can imagine there's more to pregnancy than that and if you like the idea of having the additional support, why not buy the private midwifery package?

I think i have decided to go to QM but with Private OB for check up etc. I think in this case, you have the best of both in case there is any complications, you are in the right spot for it. But throughout the pregency, you will have the specilised doctor to see you and answer any questions. We will see maybe i will change my mind about it but i think it is more sensible at this stage.
    Just wondering for the prenetal service, i am still not very clear on what to expect. Private Ob will only look after the check up and progress of the baby. So i dont know if QM provide the service or not...or should i register with Annerley anyway?
    Any suggestions?

charade is offline Registered User
    Clare, when you register at a public hospital, they will schedule regular antenatal check-ups for you at their maternal and child health care centre. This generally involves a weight/blood pressure/urine check, a consultation with a nurse who will listen for your babies heartbeat with a Doppler and if needed, will refer you to see a doctor who might arrange ultrasound scans.

In addition, you can choose to see a private OB for antenatal checks too. Between these two you should be covered so there's no point registering with Annerly as well. Some people would choose to go with Annerley instead of the private OB checkups.
    claresaunders likes this.

carang is offline Registered User
    what service are you unsure that QMH provides? of course QMH/Tsan Yuk do prenatal checks...

Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    what service are you unsure that QMH provides? of course QMH/Tsan Yuk do prenatal checks...
    It's not that i am unsure about the service at QMH, it's the unknown factor. As many of the mothers mentioned, QMH might not provide the full check up etc so i just want to make sure i am fully covered...sounds like by Charade's answer, i will be okay.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast