- 04-13-2012, 03:48 PM #17Registered User
- Join Date
- Aug 2011
- Hong Kong
The public hospitals provide all the check ups that are needed. If there is something that they don't provide or can't (e.g. I had to get my 20 week scan done privately as the hospital was fully booked) they will tell you so that you can arrange it with your private doctor. Really there is no need to have a scan everytime you have a check up. This is just the private doctors way of charging so much! In total I only had 4 scans done during my entire pregnancy - 2 privately (1 to confirm pregnancy and 1 for the 20 week scan) and 2 at the hospital (1 for the downs syndrome screening and 1 to check baby's size at 28 weeks due to gestational diabetes).
- 04-15-2012, 02:29 PM #18Registered User
- Join Date
- Oct 2011
- hong kong
mc i dont think 'cost' is necessarily the issue with the scans. I am on a package with my private ob and she does a routine scan each visit, at no extra cost. She has the machine in the room...it doesnt 'cost' her any more money to do a quick check. I think the reason why private doctors charge so much is because they are 'private' and in my assessment cost about the same as other developed countries per visit.
I agree that you don't need the scans at every visit though..
- 04-15-2012, 03:53 PM #19
of course, they will include a scan if they already have the machine... it means they can charge more for this "added" service. do you honestly think that the private doctors without the fancy new machines charge the same as your doctor?
when referring to "costs" they are not referring to the costs the doctor incurs. they are referring to the costs the patient incurs by visiting that doctor.
while a scan every visit is nice, it is most definitely not necessary for non-complicated pregnancies. there is no medical need for scan every visit for the vast majority of pregnancies.
- 04-17-2012, 02:28 PM #20Registered User
- Join Date
- Apr 2012
Hi, i am wondering if anyone is due around Nov this year and interested in meeting up?
- By lmbtv in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy ForumReplies: 7Last Post: 06-23-2011, 04:29 PM
- By rs2000 in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy ForumReplies: 3Last Post: 03-19-2011, 10:37 PM
- By Violet A in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy ForumReplies: 6Last Post: 12-16-2010, 10:09 PM
- By Jenny-34 in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy ForumReplies: 7Last Post: 09-24-2010, 05:44 PM
- By mintycat in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy ForumReplies: 2Last Post: 03-26-2007, 05:37 PM