Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

6 weeks Pregnant and panicking

Kaydee is offline Registered User

6 weeks Pregnant and panicking

Hi,
    My husband and i are 6 weeks pregnant and have no idea what has to be done for the next 10 months. I got a positive on my HPT and went running to a OBGYN in MongKok (Dr. Dora Lau)
    I have heard that private hospitals here charge you like crazy and public hospitals are pretty good. But lately i read about a case in the newspaper where the public hospital doctors dropped a new born baby..pretty sad :( Is it always like that or am i just worrying? is it safe to go to public hospitals now?
    Also, if i have to go to the doctor every month for scanning and testing, can that be done in the public hospitals?

jt06 is offline Registered User
    Public hospitals deliver tens of thousands of babies every year and dropped one. Accidents happen. No it is not always like that. In public hospitals you will not be given a scan every month. I'm assuming you are a HK resident (with HKID, no need to be permanent resident) so you can pay the low fee at public hospitals. If you register early (NOW!), you are more likely to get an early down syndrome screening scan and blood test at 12-14 weeks, an 20-week anomaly scan, and then see a doctor at about 6 months (may not have any scan), and then more frequent as you get closer to due date. If you want monthly scans and check-ups, you have to go to a private doctor for it. Many people do that.

carang is offline Registered User
    how many babies are born in hk in public hospitals every year? accidents can happen anywhere. i don't know the case to which you are referring but i'm sure that if you picked any city in say, the USA, there would be at least one accident per year regarding babies.

you do NOT need scans every month, unless you are high risk. many private doctors will do scans every month (1) because many patients who use them have insurance that will pay for it and (2) because they can charge and make money from each and ever scan.

the public hospital will take care of you medically, quite well. there are drawbacks to they system, though, one of which is waiting times.

we took my 7 year old to the accident and emergency dept on tuesday afternoon, after he had a fall. we arrived around 445pm and were in to see the dr by 5pm, who then sent us for xrays, we had the xrays taken before 515 and were back in the dr office by 530pm. my son had to be admitted because the a&e wasn't sure if he would need surgery for the 2 broken bones in his foot. so, we were then admitted & sent upstairs to the pediatrics ward. we arrived there by about 6pm. we didn't get to see the dr until almost 930pm. they then put a 1/2 cast on his foot until the next morning. yesterday morning, they decided he didn't need surgery, only a full cast. they took him for another xray @7am, then put on the full cast @ 10am. we then had to wait for yet another xray, to ensure that the cast had the foot in the correct position... we waited until 1pm for that... then had to wait for the doctor to come round again, which took until 4pm. he let us go home for the night, but we had to be back by 8am this morning, so drs could check circulation etc one more time. we got there around 8 and saw the dr around 9am. we then had to wait to be discharged and were finally let go around 2pm this afternoon.

now, i know that it wasn't a birth story (you can search around for mine... 2005 & 2007) but it is typical of the public system.

they will do all the tests they deem necessary for your situation. there are some tests they won't do and those ones you can have done privately.

lumiere is offline Registered User
    Yes, as jt06 said, making your booking now! I'm at Week 5+4 days and registered at a public hospital 2 days ago. I'm now scheduled for the OSCAR in my Week 12. Even if you are planning to go private, it's always a good idea to register for the public hospital just in case, I guess.

Registering is pretty simple, all you need are your and the dad's HKID card(original), your doctor's confirmation of your pregnancy, and your proof of address. We registered at Kwong Wah and it took us probably 30 minutes in total and it didn't even cost us a cent! :)

Once you've got your space booked, it should feel less overwhelming.

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    I just delivered at a public hospital (not Queeen Mary) on Monday and also did all my antenatal check ups with the same hospital. I found the service to be fine. Just without all the luxuries of a top rate private hospital. I was considered a high risk pregnancy (high blood pressure and gestational diabetes and was supposed to be induced but went into labour naturally the day of the scheduled induction!) and my BB has ended up in the neonatal unit for 5 days. So I dread to think what this would have cost me at a private hospital! My hospital charges on discharge were $150 (I was in hospital for total of 36 hours - they asked if I was ready to leave and I decided that I would really be able to get more rest at home). I am not sure what the cost will be for BB as he is still in hospital (expected to be discharged on Saturday). The delivery went very well, I stayed at home as long as possible and once I arrived at hospital I was able to go straight into a delivery room and my husband was able to join me after about an hour. The nurses were very supportive and guided me through the labour. And I was informed of what was happening at all times. I also found that the hospital was not as busy as I expected! (With all the reports in the paper I was expecting it to be crowded) My ward was not full while I was there and the nurses didn't seem rushed off their feet. Overall I found the public hospital experience exceeded my expectations and would not hesitate to use it again in future if I have more children.

baby will be charged $100/day (possibly also a $50 admittance charge, i'm not sure).

Kaydee is offline Registered User
    Jt06:
    Thanks! and yes we both have our hkid cards. will do the booking asap. the delay was because my doctor gave us 2 weeks time this monday to think about where to have the baby..here or somewhere outside hk.. we have decided to have our baby here, so i guess i will give my doctor a call today and try to get the letter from her.

Carang:
    Sorry to here about ur son!! hope he is fine now.

lumiere:
    great to knw.. congratulations:) so i have a company for the next 9 months. we will get the registration done today asap.
    thanks and take care.

M_c:
    Congratulations:) Hope ur baby is okai now..,i wish u cud take ur baby home as soon as possible..
    i live in tung chung and will probably register at princess Margaret in laiking. was a bit paranoid before but i guess i am okai now:)
    after the discussion i m thinking of having the baby in the public hospital and check-ups privately..
    can u guys suggest a good obgyn around here or near-by..

today is a public holiday as is tomorrow, sunday and monday. wait until tuesday to do anything else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast