Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

What is wrong with people here?

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    I know we shouldn't go on about "back at home" when we all live here now but this issue reminds me of an incident I encountered one morning on a train in Sydney. The line that I take goes through 3 big schools & during peak hour, students do give up their seat. However, that morning, the train driver told off a bunch of students to stand up, offer their seats & show some respect (his words). He obviously saw something he didn't like & announced it on the PA. It is EXPECTED that students offer their seat in public transport but here it seems that kids feel a sense of entitlement.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    I don't know what the reasons behind it are, but I do agree that there is a distinct lack of civic politeness here.

Like others, it enrages me when I am with my child and I do struggle to keep above it and not sink to the local level. The place I invariably fail at this is on the MTR where incoming travelers do not wait until everyone has alighted. I must admit to using my gweilo size premium and just walking through the most obnoxious violaters of this common courtesy.
    banane76 likes this.

canadianinhk is offline Registered User
    Nicolejoy your post made me laugh because it is so true. I've been there for sure!!

I remember one time I bumped someone with the stroller by accident when walking in a very crowded area. I try to be very aware of the stroller and knocking people and say sorry if I do but this time I didn't realize I had bumped a woman (she was a local HK person). She stopped and told me how inconsiderate I was. I seriously just about lost the plot. I kept thinking I'm inconsiderate what about the 50 people who just bumped into me, pushed me out of the way, didn't hold the door open for me. I was so angry because I felt like how dare she single me out as inconsiderate in a city that I find incredibly inconsiderate a lot of the time. I think she saw the steam starting to come out of my ears because she quickly walked away. Now I look back on it and see how silly it was a actually how amusing my reaction was but at the time...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I had the worst experience with a Filipina maid - I was pushing my stroller on the left side of the travellator between HK and Central station, and she was standing on the right. She decided she wanted to walk and didn't look but just stepped into the side of the stroller, ramming it into the wall. She gave me a dirty look and muttered something to herself and I just lost it - I said "How dare you, I was walking and YOU ran into ME!!" She said "What, do you expect me to look behind before walking??" and I told her "Well, YES" - it was crazy... I just stormed off but she was really itching for a fight and kept shouting at me. My husband was with me and he actually joined in because she was so aggressive. (I feel like I'm at confession here ;) )

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User
    JoyousBaby it's what we wud say in our sg lingo 'It's like that one lor' Once in a supermarket my toddler was in horizontal position in the sling trying to sleep after a bad tantrum and there's this 30ish guy in walking in my way not giving way at all and was so ready to bang into me if not for the quick shun I managed which almost caused me a fall I was so pissed and wud have $&@ at him if my boy was not trying to sleep I had similar encounters in MTR and lifts just as some members did Kind souls who gave up seats to me or wait for me to get into lifts - mostly foreigners, helpers, elderly women I'm sure not everyone but being rude & inconsiderate seems to be a 'norm' here and I shared same sentiments with a poster above mentioning about something wrong with the heart of the society I find it ironical that locals make such big fuss and go extreme lengths over multiple schools' waiting list to enrol their kids into but some of these output are exactly what we are all talking about here Once I was choosing oranges in a supermarket there were two other local 40ish women just opposite me doing same thing I didn't see what one of them did but her friend commented on her actions 'why did u do that' Seemed like mishandling the oranges somehow And so the other women replied proudly something like 'Well everyone does things for their own interest, to survive, that's life, that's how it SHOULD BE, everyone does things for their own benefits!' And so I begin to see more clearly why the 'norm' around here and guess that's probably something ingrained in some of them...

meilengyong is offline Registered User
    It is a highly competitive society. People are too busy with themselves. I go through all my kids kindy books, they introduce a lot of vocab to the kids but I have yet to come to one story to tell the kids to help others.....or simple manners!! Please and thank you is all they learn....again it is vocab driven rather that simply being nice to others!!! You will learn to accept it when you stay longer. Most people can only afford one child, so it is really difficult to cultivate the sense of "sharing" and "compromise" in children. Digital toys are preferred over simple playdates. Children as young as 2 have to attend interviews to get into schools...... All these add up when they grow to become young adults!!!

carang is offline Registered User
    i will NEVER grow to accept rudeness as a way of life... and i've been here for 17 years... how long do you think one needs to live here before rudeness becomes acceptable?

i also think that one child is not the norm here.
    elle, thanka2 and satay sue like this.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by meilengyong View Post
    It is a highly competitive society. People are too busy with themselves. I go through all my kids kindy books, they introduce a lot of vocab to the kids but I have yet to come to one story to tell the kids to help others.....or simple manners!! Please and thank you is all they learn....again it is vocab driven rather that simply being nice to others!!! You will learn to accept it when you stay longer. Most people can only afford one child, so it is really difficult to cultivate the sense of "sharing" and "compromise" in children. Digital toys are preferred over simple playdates. Children as young as 2 have to attend interviews to get into schools...... All these add up when they grow to become young adults!!!
    You may have identified part of the problem. PARENTS aren't doing their job, instilling simple values into their children (you absolutely don't need more than one kid to teach them the importance of respecting others, sharing and compromising). Why should a child have to learn manners from school or a kindy book (that is way to late in life to start!)? My kid isn't even 2 and knows how to say 'please', 'thank you', to let older adults (she calls them 'aunties' walk through a door first and to share toys with other children at playdates and simple compromises like pick up your toys and you can go outside to play. She learns, and will continue to learn, her value system from her parents and those close to her - we won't leave it up to school or anyone else to teach her to be a well behaved human being.

I have been here over 6 years and absolutely do not accept rudeness, nor will any amount of time in HK lead me to tolerate that kind of behavior from my child.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast