Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

What is wrong with people here?

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    to be honest, i can understand being afraid of getting germs from those places.... stand in a public washroom for 15 minutes and count how many people actually use soap and water to clean their hands... then YOU might not want to touch the door etc either!

missprincepessa is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    I have noticed this alot in Hong Kong. People are not cultured to look out for other people in's awful but true. But, it happens EVERYWHERE. I was pregnant in Sydney and soooooo many times no one would give me a seat on the bus or the train...or even huff and puff at me as i waddled towards them as if i was in their way!!! One day 2 young school girls were sitting on the disabled/pregnant seat on a bus and i asked really nicely for them to move. Instead of moving, one just slightly moved over but didnt leave a seat for me. So i sat on her. I was really heavy too, so it would have hurt. I find in life you just have to bite back. For instance, the other day i had a trolley full of groceries and a child, and my very pregnant belly trying to get in a lift full of people who could easily have taken the escalator but chose to ride the lift instead. I of course could not take the escalator with a trolley. My only choice was to push the trolley in and squeeze in around them..even if it meant squished toes. You have to be tough to get what you need in this city.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    to be honest, i can understand being afraid of getting germs from those places.... stand in a public washroom for 15 minutes and count how many people actually use soap and water to clean their hands... then YOU might not want to touch the door etc either!
    So very, very true. Most disturbing is those working in the food service industry--I rarely see them wash their hands--they come in their uniform and leave without washing--I've been tempted a few times to go talk to their boss. Eeek.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

erina320 is offline Registered User
    I have to say, I am on the opposite end of the spectrum here. I live in Tung Chung as well and I find that more often than not people are falling over themselves to help me with the doors into Citygate when I have the stroller. Granted it's a double stroller and maybe they think I can't manage by myself, but I have it down to an art form getting through the doors by myself and sometimes they actually end up hindering me rather than helping me. Still I find the people around TC to be very polite and helpful, with the occasional jerk of course, but you get that everywhere.

My pet peeve when I have the stroller... what is up with young, able-bodied adults using the elevator to go up one floor when the escalator would be much faster for them? I can't understand why they'll wait forever for a lift with elderly people, wheelchairs and strollers to go up ONE FLOOR!

Agree with Carang though, they walk so slow and meandering that sometimes I think they're falling asleep!
    carang likes this.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    People here should stop freaking about touching the door nobs, elevator button ect and worry about the hygiene of the food they eat! Many people eat at renown 'street' restaurants or grotty looking restaurants with gusto (with staff who don't wash their hands and marginal dish washing facilities - I have even seen them washing out of huge plastic tubs not connected to a drain or tap) yet can't stand the thought of touching a door knob 'forcing' them to squeeze in front of a pregnant lady with a stroller and toddler - sure that makes sense!!?!?!?!?!?
    thanka2 likes this.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I'm with Licorice and Erina here. Sometimes I get rude people -- I got really angry at two teens who pushed in front of me and the baby pram at Kowloon Station, then yelled insults at me when I asked them to wait in line. And people are in that very strange state of being both very in a rush and walking very slow.

But I'd say that 80% of the time, people are nice. Or, at least they are not mean-spirited. I got offered MTR seats when I was pregnant. If I wasn't, I'd ask nicely, and then I'd get a seat. People generally hold doors open when they see me with the baby. In fact, people often stop to coo or chat with her.
    And I see it with others, too. Today, on the Tung Chung line at Olympic station, I saw some people get up to give a seat to an old lady with a cane.
    I'm not laying blame, but it could also be your own behavior. My Western husband can be quite brisk -- and when people DON'T open the door or make room in the lift for the stroller, he will loudly complain about them, which just makes them mad, and then everyone is rude. (We had an unfortunate argument with a Chinese auntie type over getting in to an MTR elevator).
    I also have two Western lady friends who are quite snooty to HK cabbies, always lecturing them about their manners, complaining about traffic and the city -- and they say they always get rude drivers. But I rarely get rude drivers. So I wonder if it's a two-way street.
    I can be quite sarcastic personally. But I hold the sarcasm in check in public. Trust me. It just doesn't work here.
    It could also be because I'm a Cantonese speaking Chinese person. I have no idea.
    But I dislike these threads where it just sounds like a bunch of expats complaining about how "those people" are so rude.
    My whole wonderful family are Chinese, and they always give way to babies, the pregnant and the elderly.
    Last edited by Gracey; 04-14-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    carang, AmyH, marie313 and 2 others like this.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Gold Coast
    I've never really encountered any problems with rudeness here. The able bodied people in the elevators annoy me sometimes but apart from that it is fine. When I have been on the bus on my own with two kids and buggy, people have carried the buggy off the bus for me, held doors open, stopped to chat to the kids etc. Bus drivers have told me which stop to get off when I have not been sure, taxi drivers who don't understand me just phone the office and I speak to them in english to work out where we are going!
    When I was pregnant I never had trouble getting a seat. When I was 8 months pregnant I was on the MTR from central to TST. At that stage in my pregnancy, sitting on those seats was really uncomfortable so I preferred to stand. When I got on MTR a local man who was carrying a huge bag offered me his seat but I declined. At Admiralty a woman got on, saw me standing, took out her phone to call a friend (she was american). She started shouting at the top of her voice that a heavily pregnant woman was being forced to stand while this man would not offer his seat. She didn't bother to ask me if I had been offered one, just made a fool of herself and the poor man who had offered the seat. I calmly explained this to her before getting off the train. The poor man will probably never sit on the train again.... he seemed mortified.

satay sue is offline Registered User
    Would also like to add that I don't think that it's anything to do with being an only child. All the families in our building have 2 kids or more, and a lot of them are rude brats - but there are a few who are polite and friendly.
    My son is also an only child (not through our choice) and he has also had manners drummed into him, is willing to share and is a considerate playmate. Friends have even commented on it. It's a shame it seems to be so unique (that it gets commented on) for Western or Asian only children.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast