Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Safe to leave with helper?

JoyousBaby is offline Registered User

Safe to leave with helper?

The last post I had about taking my LO to the United States but after reading some posters about jet lagged and actually planned before her 6 mths vaccination, I have canceled the trip.
    So happen that now my husband told me he is going New York on the 1st June for annual meeting ask if wanna go on a trip to Miami before he head to NYC.. But leaving the baby behind with the helper and a cousin here. (cousin hardly home, always out or at work)

I reckon baby too young to leave with the helper and no one to look out for us unless we send them to relative's house for that week which I'm not really keen on.
    Husband think we should go for a break cos was a year ago since we last travel together! I'm in dilemma not knowing what should I do?

1) helper with me for 2 mths
    2) I'm pretty close with the helper (though most friends told me I should not!) don't understand why
    3) she look after my baby well even I'm out whole day
    4) just need more advise as this will be my 1st time leaving my baby behind with a helper as I travel without my gal even when I fly back to Singapore but still husband around after work.

Should I stay or should I go? ;)

carang is offline Registered User
    personally, i can't imagine leaving a 6 month old with helper. i would take the baby with me. jetlag sucks, but you get over it. it really is not such a big deal to take baby with you. it just changes what the trip is about.

as for not travelling with hubby for a year... guess what? you have a baby now! things change.

ps> hubby and i are considering a short trip to thailand without our kids (they are 5 & 7 YEARS,not months). hubby and i have had 1 night away from our kids since they were born. to me, everything changed after having kids. i can't imagine going for an extended period of time without my kids.
    elle, thanka2 and satay sue like this.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyousBaby View Post
    The last post I had about taking my LO to the United States but after reading some posters about jet lagged and actually planned before her 6 mths vaccination, I have canceled the trip.
    So happen that now my husband told me he is going New York on the 1st June for annual meeting ask if wanna go on a trip to Miami before he head to NYC.. But leaving the baby behind with the helper and a cousin here. (cousin hardly home, always out or at work)

I reckon baby too young to leave with the helper and no one to look out for us unless we send them to relative's house for that week which I'm not really keen on.
    Husband think we should go for a break cos was a year ago since we last travel together! I'm in dilemma not knowing what should I do?

1) helper with me for 2 mths
    2) I'm pretty close with the helper (though most friends told me I should not!) don't understand why
    3) she look after my baby well even I'm out whole day
    4) just need more advise as this will be my 1st time leaving my baby behind with a helper as I travel without my gal even when I fly back to Singapore but still husband around after work.

Should I stay or should I go? ;)
    If you even have to ask the question you shouldn't go. I think its crazy to leave an infant with a near stranger (your helper has been employed with you for a very short time and honestly, how much can you learn about someone in two months - not much). Not to mention that it seems very unfair to your helper to leave her with an infant, around the clock for weeks, without help for her (sounds like your cousin will not be taking an active role).

There are all sorts of other issues involved also - have you thought about the medical authorizations that will be required to get your baby treatment while you are out of town, who will make emergency decisions, etc.? Its not uncommon for a young infant to get sick, etc.

If you and your husband want to take a trip go somewhere closer and take your helper and child with you. Things change when you have kids.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    I would reconsider bringing my baby along. The fact that you are not 100% sure of leaving her behind is an indication that you are not ready to leave her with the helper. Trust your maternal instinct. That's what it for.

I personally will not be able to enjoy a holiday with my husband if at the back of my mind, I will always be wondering if my baby is being looked after. I will not have that peace of mind. It just comes with the territory of being a parent.

I understand the trepidation of travelling with a baby that young but if its any consolation, it's easier travelling at that age rather than the crawling, walking, need-lots-of-playtime stage (10 months onwards). True, you will have to relook at how you spend your holiday as you are no longer a couple & now a family of three. Lots of parents here in this forum have travelled far & wide with baby in tow so with a little practice & lots of preparation, you will also be able to enjoy your vacation as a young family. Consider it as training for more exciting holidays ahead.

JoyousBaby is offline Registered User
    Thx already told him I'm not going.
    satay sue likes this.

carang is offline Registered User
    no one said you shouldn't go...

by all means... go... just take baby with you!

peachylin is offline Registered User
    Agree with Carang. Go with the baby, if you still can make arrangements with hubby.

Jetlag isn't that bad and in fact may be "managed" well by your baby :-) I brought my then 6-month old daughter to the US for a month and she handled the trip pretty well. She was easy during the flights (HK-NY, then DC and SF) and slept mostly through the month-long trip. I believe it's easier to travel when they are small. I'm positive your baby will be fine.

And especially if you feel like you need this trip or just miss traveling with hubby, then go. Having the baby with you isn't that bad. You may be a bit limited on things to do and places to see but at least you're relaxed that you know what's going on with baby 24/7. Coming back, you and baby can practice the old routine or start anew.

All the best.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Biggie is offline Registered User
    For trips alone with husband, perhaps consider a short trip to Macau ? You will be much closer in case anything happen you can be back in a couple hours.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast