Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Desperate for advice PLEASE

Gemma is offline Registered User

Desperate for advice PLEASE

For the last 5 months, my 21 month old has been waking up at various times in the middle of the night, screaming hysterically. Sometimes it's noise from the living room (if we had not gone to bed), sometimes I think he's had a wee, sometimes it's from a cough. Usually the waking time is between 12 midnight and 4am.

Problem is he cannot self settle, not even if we go into his room and pat and shush. He keeps screaming hysterically until one of us lie down on the floor next to him. He will also lie awake for ages and checking periodically to see if we are still in the room. Dad has been doing this for the last few months to try to get us through, as we have a 2 month old now but I am sick of having my hubby away half the night, and I don't think this is a solution either. We have tried a night light and that doesn't help either.

I hate seeing him like this and suffice to say, his quality of sleep must be so poor. At the moment he is crying himself out and I hate seeing him like this. He has also in the past been so hysterical he even vomited.

PLEASE does anyone have any advice, is there anywhere in HK we can get professional help?

cq000 is offline Registered User
    Hey I'm sorry to hear your woes :( I'm having sleep problems of my own with my 3-month old. Unfortunately I have no experience with babies beyond my own young baby. Try a sleep consultant, I think there's one at http://www.annerley.com.hk/ and a google search turns up http://hk.linkedin.com/pub/deborah-taylor/31/999/657 and http://hk.linkedin.com/pub/suzy-lane/43/412/3a1

I've emailed back and forth with a sleep consultant who seems to know her stuff, her name is Gail Johnson, and her email is [email protected] but unfortunately her schedule is packed, but you can try her anyway

JamTam is offline Registered User
    HI there,

My 9 month old was doing something similar recently and it turned out to be night terrors http://www.babycenter.com/0_night-terrors_142.bc

From what you've said it sounds like it could be nightmares though. Might be worth a shot to begin with?

Thank you all. I think it was a combination of being sick, traveling overseas, moving house, getting sick again, having a new baby sister and then all through that, getting used to daddy coming into the room and lying down on the floor next to his cot as soon as he starts crying.

After 3 nights of crying it out, we have had a full week of sleeping through the night now. We have extended bedtime storytime as well. Fingers crossed this will continue.

carang is offline Registered User
    glad to hear it. i know that listening to your baby cry breaks your heart, but sometimes, it is for the best.

Thanks cara!