Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sai Kung / Prince of Wales Hospital

charade is offline Registered User

lcg97... gosh what a bummer! It is so inhuman to not let a woman have her husband or close relative/friend with her during labour. It would also help the nurses, who wouldn't have to keep doing the regular coaching and comforting stuff.

First, I think you must clarify with the nurses at PoW directly. Either ask at the reception or at your appointment. Don't let them be wishy-washy. Say you heard the policy is only 10 minutes and is that true? See what they say. In a matter like this, it's best to get the info from the horses mouth.

Second, I delivered both my babies at United Christian... my daughter was born in Jan so my experience is fairly recent. As far as I know, they definitely allow husbands into the delivery suite for natural labour during the active labour part when you are in the delivery suite. They even have a poster on the door outside the delivery suite about the importance of hubbies being there. However, since hospital policies do change and this matter is important to you, if you do decide to switch to UCH, please ask directly what the hospital policy is. For my son, I had a natural delivery in 2010 and my husband was allowed in as soon as I was in active labour - which was a good eight or more hours. I could not have done it without him and so I highly recommend you try to get a hospital that will allow your husband in.

For my daughter born in Jan, I had a emergency c-sec as my waters broke and she was in breach position. My husband was not allowed in but they were good in communicating with me when to call him, I literally said hello to him for 2 secs before being wheeled into surgery and then I saw him a couple of hours later once I had come out of the recovery room for anther 2 secs. He was shown the baby briefly after she was cleaned up when they were taking her to the ward. I delivered at 8 and he was able to visit me during visiting hour at 12 so that was fine. Honestly, during a c-sec not a big deal to not have my husband there... but for natural labour, it would have been very very bad to not have him there.

About United Christian... I have my grouses with them in terms of the grumpy young resident doctors, who thankfully one sees only once or twice during the whole experience if your delivery is smooth. The midwives and nurses are largely great! I am in awe of their patience and devotion to the job. They are great during labour and great at helping with breastfeeding. But yes, like at all public hospitals, they expect you to be on the bed strapped to monitor during active labour and if you want to deviate from that, you may be allowed if you fight.

The wards are comfortable and spacious - more spacious and less noisy than the ward at Baptist, a private hospital that I was supposed to deliver at. The loo hygiene could be better. However, after delivery, you can use these special loos and those are generally very clean. I am one of those weird people that wolfs down hospital food so I thought it was fine, but most ladies had family bring them food.

I plan to write to United Christian - if I could ever locate an email address for this purpose, their website sucks - about my grouses so hopefully they might take some action on the loo cleaning at least by the time you get there... if you decide on UCH. Good luck and PM me if you have questions about UCH.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

My husband was with me at the birthing room in POW but I do recall that I had to tell them to bring him in. Same with my friend who gave birth there just last week. The nurses waited till my friend told them that she wanted her husband in the delivery room.

POW is clear that they will not let husbands in during labour but in the actual delivery, they can come.

All things considered, I would not be rushing back to give birth at POW even if all I had a pay was around $250.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

Btw, POW had loo issues as well now that Charade mentioned hers. Almost a year after my birth at POW, I'm still grossed out.

Mikifin is offline Registered User

Just gave birth in UCH, United Christian hospital, 2 weeks ago. I can really recommend it! I had heard all kind of stories, but they were great! Staff was good, I was able to move freely, push in a position I wanted and the baby was placed on my chest right after the birth and I breast fed him 45 min after. They gave us time and privacy. They also have a ¨program¨ that you are allowed to have one person with you at the birth, so your husband/ doula... is allowed to attend the delivery, if not emergency c-section. This is why I actually decided to go to UCH instead of POW. I had a lot of support from Annerley on the side though.

If you wanna ask more details, or anything just pm me :)

lcg97 is offline Registered User

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. We've changed our registration now to be at UCH - it's actually much closer to our home as well. We had a wander around when we went to visit and it seemed really clean and everyone was very friendly. First appointment tomorrow. It's all starting to feel real now!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12