Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Rice cooker/ electric stove ( travel purpose)

doe eyes is offline Registered User

Rice cooker/ electric stove ( travel purpose)

Hi,
    I am planning a holiday for 2 wks and will b taking my baby with me. I want to make her food in the hotel room which is generally rice, lentils and veggies that are boiled tgthr. Can anyone suggest a small electric stove or probably a travel rice/lentil/ veggie electric cooker that is portable and not too heavy

carang is offline Registered User
    is there a reason that for 2 weeks, you cannot make do with whatever is available? rice can generally be bought at any restaurant as can vegetables... you could just give your child some from your plate, no?

you haven't said how old your child is...but once a child is a year old, they can eat pretty much everything you do, just in smaller pieces and smaller quantities.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I have never used one, but this might be something you could use:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-AVEN...3&sr=8-1-fkmr2

carang is offline Registered User
    i just can't imagine having to take a cooker & food & utensils for 1 child for 2 weeks in addition to everything else you have to take... just seems like a lot of extra, unnecessary work on what is supposed to be your holiday.

Biggie is offline Registered User
    I have a sanyo one from many years ago I'm not sure if they still sell that. And if hotel has microwave in the room, can consider a microwave ricecooker. Try to ask in Sogo, wingon, or broadway.
    Posted via Mobile Device

bonita is offline Registered User
    I've never brought along utensils to cook on trips. Even though my kids have been travelling since 4 months old. I just bring rice cereal or add hot water to restaurant rice to make congee. Order steamed veggies and ask the restaurant to steam it a little longer & not to add salt or seasoning.

If you really have to cook rice/congee, just bring a well-sealed thermos with you. Soak rice in water for 30-60 min. Put rice in thermos, add boiling water. Rice will be ready in 1 hour or so. You can soak the lentil ahead of time & "cook" together with the rice, it might take a little longer though. You can use the same method for small pasta. If you really want to bring an electric appliance with you, innotec makes a mini rice cooker, you can find it at Sogo or wing on. I've also seen small rice cookers sold at, oddly enough, fotomax.