Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Artistic misadventures of a 2 year old!

marie313 is offline Registered User
    howard - are you serious? by giving her that wall you are saying it's ok to draw on walls. if my 2 yr old drew on the wall she would be in big trouble! Do you really let your kids draw on the walls at home?
    Last edited by marie313; 04-19-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    "I would do something a bit unorthodox :
    Leave it alone and make it her wall. She is going to do it anyway so resist the urge to fix it and let her paint the place to her hearts content. Make sure she knows that is the only wall she should do it with...

When time comes to move out, you can then fix it up." - Howard Coombes

Are you serious??? So as a reward for naughty behaviour, the child gets a whole wall in the family room to scribble on, and the parents get a spoiled living room?

And I don't think it's inevitable that walls will get drawn on. I have a 6 yr old, a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old - none of whom have ever even attempted to draw on a wall. Crayons and paper are freely available, and the youngest is supervised at all times.

As for the OP's original query, sounds like you'll have to paint over that wall. And buy Crayola Washable crayons just in case there's a next time! ;-) (Though with the poor quality paint on the walls - so common in HK, unfortunately - the paint will probably wash off too.)
    marie313 and thanka2 like this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkyblues View Post
    And I don't think it's inevitable that walls will get drawn on. I have a 6 yr old, a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old - none of whom have ever even attempted to draw on a wall. Crayons and paper are freely available, and the youngest is supervised at all times.
    I was thinking the same thing. My son is 4 1/2 and has never drawn on the walls or on furniture. He's known from an early age that that's absolutely not allowed. I don't want it to be okay in our house and then have him trying out the same thing at other peoples' houses. However, there is a really cool type of paint which you can paint your wall with now that turns it into a blackboard! My friend who does pre-schooling at home in the States did this in their house. So, that might be fun--paint a section of wall with that type of paint and let her use chalk--but then again, my friend's house had an actual room that was designated as a classroom and that was their actual chalkboard so it's a bit different than doing the same thing in the living room. Maybe get a large piece of whiteboard material and tack it up?
    AmyH likes this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

AmyH is offline Registered User
    My son (7) never, ever did it so it was a bit of a shock! the crayons are crayola washable but still didn't come off!

I had that blackboard paint which we used in our garden for my son (i painted some of the back wall of the garden with it and he loved drawing with chalk on there!)

carang is offline Registered User
    my kids definitely know better...but didn't stop them from trying it and blaming each other for it!
    AmyH likes this.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by marie313 View Post
    howard - are you serious? by giving her that wall you are saying it's ok to draw on walls. if my 2 yr old drew on the wall she would be in big trouble! Do you really let your kids draw on the walls at home?
    Kids are kids and accidents happen. Furniture gets destroyed and walls get painted and chipped and cracked; its all part of parenthood.

No, it was not our intention to let kids draw on the walls but when one of them made some big circles that didnt come out, we made that wall "the painting wall" and told them they could have that single wall as their easel. They loved it and used it all the time, but that was many years ago.

AmyH is facing the same situation. Instead of trying to cover it up, my suggestion is to make use of it and get enjoyment out of it without thinking its "spoiled"; have family paint sessions on it and once it gets full, paint it over with big brushes and start over again.
    AmyH likes this.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    If you have a corporate (or larger) landlord, you may want to ask your management for some paint. We have one big landlord, so it's easy to get some paint as they do they same color everywhere.

I have 3 kids, oldest almost 8 and 5 1/2 yo twins. Only my twin girl, the outgoing, extrovert one has written her name on the wall (found out when I was moving the furniture and then she blamed her sibling while it was clearly her handwriting ) and she once did smiley faces alllllllll over her fitted sheet when she was supposed to do a nap (this was 2 1/2 years ago). She was definitely the one to watch but I always made it very clear that is NOT what we do ... I cannot imagine her going into somebody else house thinking it was OK? It's the same with climbing on the couch. If I allow it in my house, they think it's OK to do it at somebody else's.
    AmyH likes this.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    My kids are totally opposites when it comes to personalities. I have siad it for a while now, but my son is the "thinker" and my daughter is the "do'er!" she seems to have no fear at all. I made her help me clean the wall so she knew it was wrong and she has been happily painting and drawing on paper since yesterday... today is a play doh day so we are spending the morning with her making rainbows from that and me ensuring she is not trying to eat it! what is up with this weather?!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast