Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pap Smear Test during 1st check up

claresaunders is offline Registered User

Pap Smear Test during 1st check up

Is it normal to have a pap smear done while pregnant? I'm feeling a little uncomfortable about it and don't know if I'm being unreasonable. Are there any dangers or problems that could occur because of it? Or is it something that maybe could prevent a problem?
    I know I could just ask the "professionals", but I also know that their answer will be that "of course it's necessary". I am just feeling like I want the least amount of medical intervention possible during this pregnancy. Not too sure if it might cause miscarriage or anything as i am still going through first trimester.
    All input and advice welcome!

elle is offline Registered User
    It is normal, routine and indeed important and low risk (a simple search of the sites several people have pointed out will confirm this, as would talking to your doctor). Again, medical professionals don't perform routine procedures if they are likely to harm a pregnant woman or unborn child. The greater risk is giving birth while you have an undiagnosed infection which absolutely can cause complications for your child.

Also, in my experience medical processionals do not advise that procedures are necessary when they are not (it would in fact be malpractice for them to do so). They may tell you that it is advisable or routine (and a good doctor will also set out the pros and cons) but I don't think I've ever had a doctor tell me that something *must* be done or is absolutely "necessary" in an non-emergency setting.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I never had one so I was a bit skeptical and googled it. I found this link: http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnanc...pap-smear.aspx which says "There are no risks associated with the Pap smear. (But there are definite risks to your baby, including eye infections and pneumonia, if you give birth while you have an undiagnosed, untreated infection.)"

There are links where people claim to have miscarried after a pap smear but you never know if it was due to the pap smear or not. I'm sure that they are the minority... ultimately it's up to you to decide, but the decision is between the risk of having a miscarriage (which there is no proven connection) or the risk of not knowing about some condition which you could theoretically pass to your child (definite link, and pap smear could detect such a condition - but the risks of you having something like that are still probably small).

Actually, the risk of having undiagnosed chlamydia if a person has had multiple sexual partners or even one sexual partner who has had multiple other partners of their own is shocking high. Men often have no symptions and symptoms in women can be latent for years, but there are real risks for an unborn baby associated with this disease. Detection is simple and treatment is low risk generally. I don't know anything about the OPs sexual history but if someone has had more than one sexual partner and has never had a pap smear I would definitely do it.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I don't think a pap smear detects STDs - only the presence of normal or abnormal cervical cells. A vaginal culture swab can test for the presence of other growths such as bacteria and candida. I never had a pap smear or vaginal culture done during my pregnancy, but a pap smear during the first postpartum checkup (6 weeks) was standard procedure for my doctor...

They typically screen for infections (including certain STDs) as well as abnormal cervical cells. You can request that they don't do the STD screening... the cultures for the former are taken during the same procedure.

jt06 is offline Registered User
    I had one and really can't imagine why it might need to miscarriage. They barely touches the cervix, and you're fetus should be way up inside the uterus as far as I understand.

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    I didn't have one during my pregnancy as I has my annual one the month before I fell pregnant so there was really no need. Though I have heard that it is common to have one at your first check up it you haven't had one recently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast