Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

GSIS - where to learn Chinese after school?

EarlyYears is offline Registered User
    I agree with Carang. Also having been a private teacher for many years, I've never found the lessons boring. My kids find the simplest games and activities fun.

Portia is offline Registered User
    If it's learn through play that you want, then try Kidsland which is groups of 4 max. But it only takes children up to (and including) 5 years old. The teachers are good and they play lots of games, do some arts and crafts, sing songs etc. The students are from other intl schools (including GSIS). My LO goes here and the teachers are very good - lots of energy and the ability to handle very active kids!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    carang, keep in mind that GSIS finishes quite early (start early too) compared to many local and international schools, even in the upper years so there is plenty of time to focus on Chinese if preferred.

carang is offline Registered User
    what i'm saying has to do with sheer hours available and the cost. to have a private tutor come every day for 1-2 hours/day would be optimal, but it would cost a fortune (on top of your already hefty GSIS school fees).

most learning centres, or even private tutors, would have classes that meet once or maybe twice per week. that is not enough to become bi-literate and bi-lingual. it doesn't matter if regular school finishes at 2pm or 4pm.

if the child is getting 2-3 hours/week, he/she will NEVER be able to learn to read and write chinese to anywhere near a fluent level.
    Last edited by carang; 04-23-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Summer 2012 is offline Registered User
    How about pm class in local kindergarten? If he is too tired, he doesn't have to go every day. too much?

gins is offline Registered User
    Thanks Portia, will check out Kidland too, but think it sounds more like a playgroup. Earth Village seems to have a more structured Chinese learning program. I have actually also thought about sending my kid to local kindergarten in the afternoon since GSIS finishes before 1pm, but most local school pm class starts at 1/1:30pm which will be too rush and too hectic for a 3 year old kid I think, does anyone know any local school which may have late pm class?

private tutor is an option but I think it will be too expensive on top of the GSIS school fees...

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by gins View Post
    Thanks Portia, will check out Kidland too, but think it sounds more like a playgroup. Earth Village seems to have a more structured Chinese learning program. I have actually also thought about sending my kid to local kindergarten in the afternoon since GSIS finishes before 1pm, but most local school pm class starts at 1/1:30pm which will be too rush and too hectic for a 3 year old kid I think, does anyone know any local school which may have late pm class?

private tutor is an option but I think it will be too expensive on top of the GSIS school fees...
    I know several people who do a combination of English and Cantonese education especially in kindies when the days are shorter. In that case it helps that GSIS finishes early as I earlier mentioned. Most people I know made arrangements with the morning school and some even pick them up slightly earlier. I guess it completely depends where the schools is and how far you need to travel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12