Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Swimming Pool Hours

MamaTucker is offline Registered User

Swimming Pool Hours

Hi there, we live in a building with around 70 apartments. We have a large outdoor pool, a small children's pool and cold water jacuzzi next to it.
    They have just opened the pools and the session times are:
    M - F 7.30 - 11.30 close 1 hour 12.30 - 4pm close 3 hours and then 7 - 8.30pm.
    The children's pool ie. toddler pool is only open from 4pm - 6pm during the week days.
    On the weekend they open all the pools from 7.30 - 8.30 but they close it twice 11.30 - 12.30 and then again 6pm - 7pm for the lifeguards to take their break.

On a Monday morning the pool is closed from 7.30 - 12.30 for cleaning. That is 4 hours, therefore the pool is closed for a total of 29 hours per week during operating hours.

They employed 3 lifeguards over the weekend but I'm not sure how many will be there today.

I just wanted to know how things work at other apartment buildings. It seems completely unreasonable to close the pool on week days from 4pm - 7pm which is the time most of our kids are home from school etc and want to have a swim. Also opening the toddler pool for only 2 hours per day means we can't take them down for a quick splash at a time other than between 4 - 6pm.
    We are feeling very frustrated and not sure what we can do to get the management to review the hours.
    Appreciate your advice if you've been in this situation and what can be done to improve the situation for the residents.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaTucker View Post
    We are feeling very frustrated and not sure what we can do to get the management to review the hours.
    Appreciate your advice if you've been in this situation and what can be done to improve the situation for the residents.
    Every building will have an owners committee of some sort that will meet regularly. Find out who the leader is and find a way to get your concerns heard.
    Contact other parents within the building and ensure they do the same : contact the committee (attend their meetings) and ensure they listen to your wants and wishes.

The management follows the wishes of the owners..

mumsy is offline Registered User
    Our pool hasn't opened yet, but I remember that for the months of May & June, the times were more restricted - something like 7.30-11.30am and then 4pm-9pm.
    During July & Aug when the kids are on their summer holidays, it was 7.30-11.30am, 2.30-6pm, and 7-9.30pm.

Remember that many children have after school activities, but if there are enough parents/children wishing to use the pool when it's closed, then management may change the times to accomodate you. Good luck.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Almost everyone I know has some annoyances about their pool's opening times! I don't "get it" but apart from giving feedback to management, there's little we can do about it!

Our pool is open every year from April 15 - November 15. We're usually counting down from mid-March - but the last month we don't get much use because it seems to start cooling down in October - so I wish those dates were a little earlier in the year.

We have three sessions a day: 7-12:30, then 2-5, then 6-9. The morning session is fantastic, but in the afternoon, I wish the hours were a little different. My daughter's school bus gets back around 4:30 so we don't usually have time to go after school which is a bit of a bummer. Sometimes she gets home a bit earlier around 4:15 and we do go - but I wish we didn't get kicked out at 5pm!! In the evening session, sometimes my husband and I will go swimming (do laps) after the kids go to bed. They're in bed at 8 so by the time we get down, we have less than an hour then as well. We're always getting kicked out then too ;)

For our use, the ideal times would be more like 9-12 and then 3-9:30 - two sessions, less time open each day, but more convenient for us...

MamaTucker is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your feedback everyone. I spoke with Management today and it seems that it is the Hong Kong Government that set the ridiculous rules. We need 2 lifeguards week days and 3 on the weekends at all times. I don't understand how it works as we stayed at a serviced apartment in HK for 2 months and never once saw a lifeguard. Same size pool and jacuzzi....
    Just a shame that's the way it is here!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Our pool opened 31/3 and will close 1/12. It's open every day from 9.00 to 7.00 pm, closed between 1.30 and 2.30 pm and on Monday it doesn't open until 1.30 pm or so (cleaning in the morning). Our building is quite big though (more than 300 units). We have 2 life guards on duty for 2 pools.