Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Help! Can't feed or express...

Daya is offline Registered User

Help! Can't feed or express...

If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it. I'm feeling quite worried at the moment and don't really know what to do. I have a bad case of mastitis... But it seems to be getting worse. I had a sore spot under my arm on Thursday night, then woke up at 4am with a fever, aches and shivers and bright red streaks across my breast. I went straight to the doctor who took one look and prescribed antibiotics, rest and lots of feeding/expressing.
    That's where I've been having trouble. I feel like I'm trying to do all the right things... Hot packs before feeding, cold in between, feeding from the sore side first, hand expressing in the bath/shower... But it's just not working. My breast is really full and red and so hard and lumpy around the nipple that I just can't get the milk out. My baby gets so frustrated on that side that she pulls on and off and now my nipple is split and open right across the middle. I guess I'm having a hard time letting down as it's so painful, but I've also tried starting her on the good side then switching once I've let down.
    The most I can get with the pump is about 40-50 mls... But the breast doesn't feel drained.
    I'm really stuck and really worried. The last thing I want is for my milk to dry up. My daughter is 10 1/2 months old and I'd like to feed her for a while yet.
    Anyone been in a spot like this? What works?! Thanks so much.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

I feel your frustration. I had heaps of problems with breastfeeding for my first child. At this stage, I suggest that you contact la leche league http://www.lllhk.org/. I've always found them very helpful. If they can't help you on the spot, they can recommend a lactation consultant in your area. Best to leave this with the experts. All the best.

Gemma is offline Registered User

I think on top of the antibiotics you will likely need some anti-inflammatories as well to bring the swelling and inflammation down.

Are you able to hand express at all? Sometimes that gets more milk out than pumping. I would recommend my lactation consultant mrs chee. She is very good, let me know if you want her contact details.

Sorry just read that you had tried hand expressing. I agree talk to LLL or a Lactation consultant. Nurofen helped me with the pain and inflammation when I had engorgement and blocked ducts.

Daya is offline Registered User

Thank you both for your care and suggestions. I had actually called Mrs Chee and then wrote this as I couldn't get through and was out of ideas! She ended up having a cancellation and I've just come back from seeing her. Turns out it's a yeast infection on top of the mastitis, swelling rather than engorgement and a diminished supply. A bit of a long road ahead, but at least I know what's going on and can treat it accordingly.
    Thanks again. I really appreciate you both having got back to me.

Ouch! I feel your pain as I too had a yeast infection with my first LO and the pain is just shocking!!!!! Not to mention the million different things you need to do to try to get rid of it. So I'm feeling for you.

Good luck, I'm glad you got to see her.

Sazzy is offline Registered User

There is also a good place called Nest for Mums who meet every Tuesday. They may be able to help.

yonge is offline Registered User

The only way I can get my blocked duct unblocked is with the baby nursing with his chin directly on top of the blocked area. Unfortunately, the block is always located at 2 o'clock, so this means that I place the baby with his head raised on an adult pillow. Then, I kneel over him - my head pointing to his toes, to get the position right. It's always the last thing I try, because I keep hoping that something else will work - warm compress, cold compress, massage, ibuprofen, sonic vibrations, etc., but in the end, it's always the only one that works. Hopefully, the medicine for the yeast infection and mastitis means you're getting some relief. Please keep persevering with the breast feeding, if it's what you want to do. Your milk supply on the affected side may go down temporarily, but it'll come back up when your daughter continues to suckle on that side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast