Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

CDNIS vs ESF Hillside

Little bird is offline Registered User

CDNIS vs ESF Hillside

Hi My son got accepted to both schools (K1 and pre reception).

Any advice or comments please on the following aspects:
    - chinese language training
    - manner
    - discipline
    - student mix (Cantonese speakers)
    - learning atmosphere
    - academics
    - way of teaching

I am more tempted to go for CDNIS as 1) it is smaller class 2) we are offered a place in the a.m. Class and 3) guarntee through train school.**Really tough choice because ESF HIllisde and Quarry Bay School and south island school seem to be really good.

Any advice would be appreciated.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I would probably choose CDNIS. First because ESF Kindy offers no guarantee for ESF Primary. We're at QBS and we love the school but again why risk it as CDNIS is an excellent school with same curriculum, smaller classes (which depends on your child) and a wide range of nationalities. I know plenty people who are happy at both, but you have one guarantee now. Other than that, budget may play a role. ESF could be less expensive in the long run.
    Posted via Mobile Device

rani is offline Administrator
    I would also choose CDNIS for all the same reasons as Momto3. Quarry Bay is a good school but MomTo3 is right there is no guarantee you will be offered a place. You could be offered another ESF school as the school zones are assessed every year or so. The ESF primary schools are not all the same, and to be honest I wouldn't take the risk.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

trttrt is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by rani View Post
    I would also choose CDNIS for all the same reasons as Momto3. Quarry Bay is a good school but MomTo3 is right there is no guarantee you will be offered a place. You could be offered another ESF school as the school zones are assessed every year or so. The ESF primary schools are not all the same, and to be honest I wouldn't take the risk.
    My child is going to esf hillside for k1. I know that if I had a choice, I would prob decide on CDNIS as well. Have read so much about the stress of parents whose kids attended esf kindy and not offered primary.

Our lease is almost up and I am now contemplating to either move to a Bradbury school zone or Peak school zone. Though it seems a little early, I do not foresee moving again soon so would have to decide now.

Rani, when you mentioned the primary schools are not the same, could you share any knowledge you might have on the schools, esp the two I mentioned. Please pm me if you are not comfortable sharing it here.
    Thanks so much! :)

rani is offline Administrator
    Have a read through GeoSchools.Com. We have discussed most of the ESF schools on the island.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

trttrt is offline Registered User
    Hmmm, the threads don't seem very active and there isn't much, esp on the peak school..

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    CDNIS would seem the most practical choice as it's a throuh train school. If you really like the ESF system, I would try again when your kid enters P1, at which time if he got accepted you'd be going from one through train school to another, 2) you'd have no pressure with having to get into the ESF system, as you already have a backup school, CDNIS, and even with a rejection, you'd be fine since you're already at a through train school. Sounds cynical...but very practical! :)

Little bird is offline Registered User
    Thank you so do much for your advice. An obvious choice!