Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Anyone else going crazy from baby sleep issues...

cq000 is offline Registered User

Anyone else going crazy from baby sleep issues...

Gaaaaaaaah. My son is three months old and he fights sleep with piercing shrieks. I feel so awful and helpless but I couldn't bear to just leave him alone either, so I stay in the room and wait for him to cry it out, comforting him occasionally. He's a lot better now since I started following Tracy Hogg's Baby Whisperer advice but I'm still going nuts from the crying. He cries every time I put him down to sleep, and he sleeps well at night but during the day his naps are short and fitful. It feels like every time just as after I've put him to sleep, and about to sit down and start some work or put the first spoonful of food in my mouth, he wails, and I have to go in again. Been trying to put him on a routine this week but because his daytime naps are so short and erratic, the routine all goes into a mess.

The crying just really bothers me. He *has* to cry 10-30 minutes before he falls asleep, and if I pick him up and comfort him it makes it worst because he just starts all over when I put him down to cry longer. For daytime naps its even worst....

Based on Tracy's book I kind of know what I have to do, which is be more forceful on implementing the routine even if it means making him overtired or waking him early for the first few days. Just wondering if any other moms out there are feeling tired and bad too ....

I know the crying doesn't mean I'm a bad mom but I can't help keep wondering what I've done wrong and what I could do better ..... read online some babies just cry before bed no matter what all the way up to toddlers, do I just have to accept this?!

Ok just had to vent ... gaah.

carey is offline Registered User
    I how what exactly you are going through. Both of my sons were like that at that age. It does get better when they are older, like 4-6 month.

I am a BIG believer of Healthy sleep habit and happy child. This support group on Baby Center is where I learn to how to implement methods from the book.

http://community.babycenter.com/grou...ddler_to_sleep

There are no cry solutions there suggested too if you are not a fan of crying.

Good luck.

carey is offline Registered User

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Is he crying cause he's overly tired or just not tired at all? My son cries at the sight of his bed when he's not tired but if I out him into bed and he's physically exhausted he won't complain and just sleep within 15mins even if I put him down when he's still awake.

To be honest, I didn't follow any books and my son is not really on any set routine...he sleeps when he wants and basically for as long as he wants. That does often mean one short (45mins)nap in the morning and one long (60-75mins) nap in the afternoon. He sleeps at 8 till 6:30 the next morning. For me that's the easiest and no crying involved.

Lali07 is offline Registered User
    Three months!? He's just a tiny baby, and could be crying for any number of reasons (hunger, pain) but probably just because he is fretting and wants his mama, which is totally understandable from his point of view.. The whole sleeping-through-the-night obsession here, and the myriad of baby advice books was what drove me mad as a new mum! I love the following article "Why African Babies Don't Cry": http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/claire_niala.html - the focus is on closeness and breastfeeding, but for those mamas who don't or can't, the same idea can be achieved by bottle-nursing on demand, in a snuggly position, or via a pacifier placed next to the nipple.. Just some thoughts. Hope you can get through these tiring but precious early days and enjoy your little one before he is tearing around the world as a busy toddler...
    Margaret09 likes this.

charade is offline Registered User
    Agree that three months is really early and that it does get better with time. Both my babies were like yours, had to be carried all the time and could not be put down to sleep. My daughter who is now 3 and a half months is just doing some stretches of long sleep on her own in the day. My son was hard to put down even at night and I ended up co-sleeping a lot so you're lucky nights are good. Of course, it is tiring but I found it more tiring to put the baby down and go through the whole thing over and over. Besides, as you said, it results in fitful sleep for the baby and I would rather my baby had a good rest. My mum and me took shifts holding by babies and when my mum left, my helper and me. Now that I'm back at work my helper managers the baby alone but luckily she sleeps at least one long stretch on her own and if she gets too tiring I have another helper who can pitch in. I think the important thing with these babies is to get as much help as possible.

Any baby would love to sleep cuddled up on a warm, breathing body. Some lucky mums have babies who can detach without too much stress and sleep training works. Sometimes there may be reasons why the baby won't cooperate and sleep alone - my son had acid reflux where his milk would come back up, burning his throat. A pacifier helped and you could try that... it gives them some comfort to suck. But then you have to wean them off it and that's hard. My daughter was a gassy baby. It helps ease their pain to be cuddled up. But even a baby with no apparent problems could be hard to sleep train.

So I'd say, try the sleeptraining if you wish but if it doesn't work, your baby is perfectly normal. When I used to tell the docs and nurses about my babies, they'd say: "Yes, some babies are like that. You have to hold them."

I wouldn't have the fortitude to go the Kenyan way described in the article Lali07 and I suspect many of us wouldn't. We are just not strong enough. So don't feel guilty if you can't. The only thing that helped me was repeating like a mantra "this too shall pass" when my baby woke up yet again and had to be rocked. And don't think you have to "enjoy" this phase either. Frankly the first three months of both my babies were the worst periods of my life. My son is now a toddler and I love it. Again, it only gets better. Keep telling yourself that.

cq000 is offline Registered User
    My baby cries because he uses crying as a way to self-settle before sleeping. He often drops off peacefully after crying for a bit (usually its cry > suck thumb > stare at wall > blink > snooze). The only way to stop him from crying before bed is to what I did for the first 3 months, swing him or nurse him to sleep then put him down asleep, to which he would wake up within a short amount of time, screaming because he's in a different place and need the breast or swing to sleep again. For weeks and weeks my husband, in-law, and I would take turns putting him in the swing or rocking him to sleep at 12 am, 2 am, 4 am, 6 am, and so on ... so I have to say sleep-training has worked for me and I believe its for the best (for both overtired mommy and baby), because after one week he slept from 8 am to 8 pm and has been ever since with barely a peep at night. Sometimes he wakes up and cries for 5 mins and drop back off to sleep. I went through a phase where I was so sleep-deprived that I read every sleep training book out there, and I tried all the no-cry methods first (didn't work, I did all swaddling and white noise and shushing and music and bedtime routine and all). I also tried the attachment parenting model at first (carrying him, sleeping together, etc). I can't do it. Exhaustion makes me a resentful and unhappy mommy. And I don't feel guilty about that either because I believe child-centered parenting is a terrible model and babies aren't as helpless as the Sears would have us believe, but I'm happy if it has worked for others. Now the approach I'm using (baby whisperer) is in the middle, doesn't completely advocate cry it out but doesn't advocate carrying your baby all day either. And no more trying a hotchpotch of methods for me! I'm just sticking to one and see it to the end (babywhispererforums.com)

Its just I'm wondering if he will ever stop crying before bedtime .... and though he does great at nights, he screams at naps even though he's sleepy and I feel so stressed out during the day. I put him down at the first cues of tiredness (staring, yawning) but he still fights it like a tiger like I'm about to lower him in a dungeon ..... gaaah .... and when he does get to sleep he wakes up after 10 mins, or 30 mins!

Carey -- I also read Dr. Weissbluth's book ... some of the tips are helpful!

Thanks for the supportive words!

meimeid is offline Registered User
    My son was the same at 3 months, only slept when rocked, carried or nursed and it drove me a bit crazy as well. I tried CIO, and some other methods (eg PUPD), but it didn't work at that age. But now, 4 months later he naps entirely by himself for longer. Guess some babies will sleep by themselves when they are ready. The easiest thing to do is just accept and wait until he's ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast