Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

airline suggestions....

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    thanks, thanka. i was hoping you would answer!

i may go for the korean air. the stop over is short, basically off of one plane and then get on the next... just enough time to stretch the legs and let the kids have a run.

it's not the most expensive, but it's not china eastern, either! i REALLY don't want to fly china eastern unless it's absolutely necessary.

as i said, the kids have the tablets so games/movies all-in-one (and only $700 each!)

thanks, guys! i just couldn't bring myself to spend so much on cathay...
    Korean Air will be good to you. :) Have a wonderful trip!
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

carang is offline Registered User
    now, i just have to come up with $21k.... :)

Ai li is offline Registered User
    air china-vancouver -- (about $18k for 3) have flown them before. seats tiny, seat back entertainment didn't work (on either flight!). nothing for kids....

If Air China flies direct, I would go for Air china. I wouldnt concern too much about 5 & 7 years old. I personally this IPad can be more entertaining for them. Just worry about the battery life span.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I would probably take Korean. My friends in Shanghai hate China Eastern as well. They bring their own meals, everything. I've had good experience with Philippine Airlines and their entertainment system is fairly reasonable. If you want to go cheap, I would take Air China and stock up on iPad and portable DVD. My children have never been awake the whole flight, maybe half so on a long haul they just need to entertain themselves for 6 hours or so which is doable. Even if you save $4000 it's still $4000 and if the layover isn't bad, it's still worth it.

We have the same issue, and try to find the middle of the road between the absolute worse and the directs. There is no direct to my parents anyway, so that gives a lot more options.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I would definitely "rough it" in that situation with children as old as yours. As thanka2 said, if the children were nappy wearing and needed to be carried then the extra $10,000 would be worth it but not now. I would probably go with the cheapest in order to have the most spending money and really enjoy the trip while in Canada and just build yourself and the kids up by saying that "the next 24 hours will be really tough but it will be over then and we can enjoy ourselves!"
    Maybe try to book the cheapest, but ensure you are flying at night time for most of the flight so that the kids can just get on the plane and sleep.
    Exciting times for you all to go somewhere where Christmas actually feels like Christmas, instead of here where people are on the beach and shopping malls!

carang is offline Registered User
    amyH, after spending hours upon hours thinking about it last night, i think i've decided to rough it. at less than $15k on china eastern, i just can't bring myself to spend an extra $6k on airfare in order to fly korean.

i figure that even if i pay for a hotel in hk (flight leaves @ 730am, so we'd have to leave our house @ 430am) we'd still be $4000 up and have that much extra for fun stuff in canada... that's more than a day of skiing in whistler!!!
    AmyH likes this.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I would just make sure the packing is done a few days in advance so that the day before you leave you have nothing to do. Get your husband or helper to take the kids out for the day so you can spend the day in bed reading/watching tv/surfing the net in pure relaxation.
    Think of worst case scenarios for the flight and assume that they will all happen so that you can be mentally prepared and hopefully it wont be so bad so that you can be pleasantly surprised!

erina320 is offline Registered User
    First off, congratulations on going back to Canada for a visit. I know you miss your Mom.

Second, Personally I would sleep at home and skip the preflight hotel. You might get 1-2 more hours of sleep, but I think people sleep better in their own beds so though less the quality of sleep will be better.

How old are your children? Unless they are under 3, I would imagine they can be well behaved on the flight with enough entertainment and snacks.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast