Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

airline suggestions....

charade is offline Registered User
    I think at the end of the day, it's how much you can afford. I would probably go with Korean... sounds like a decent compromise. Btw, I have heard bad things about Cathay - the seats on many flights being very uncomfortable - so don't feel too bad about missing out on it. Imagine how pissed you'd be if you forked out that extra dough and found yourself uncomfy the whole flight.

I'd go for the most comfortable option in my/your budget and sacrifice on spending on the trip. Anyway it's a holiday visiting family I'm assuming so your expenditure can be simple. But that's because I always find long flights tiring and uncomfy (and I've flown great airlines, though always in economy) and end up exhausted on arrival. I'd imagine it would be harder with kids, even older kids.

burrcl is offline Registered User
    The only other thing I would add to think about, is what if you are delayed at HK, and miss your connection. Will they hold the plane, and how long until the next connecting flight? Does it mean staying another 24 hours to get the next one, or do they have, say, 6 options per day. My in-laws frequently take connecting flights and seem to 50% of the time miss their connections and get to stay in hell-hole airport hotels for the night (then make a huge fuss and get credit towards next flights, must be why they do it as they can well afford direct!). Just a thought...

carang is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by erina320 View Post
    First off, congratulations on going back to Canada for a visit. I know you miss your Mom.

Second, Personally I would sleep at home and skip the preflight hotel. You might get 1-2 more hours of sleep, but I think people sleep better in their own beds so though less the quality of sleep will be better.

How old are your children? Unless they are under 3, I would imagine they can be well behaved on the flight with enough entertainment and snacks.
    the problem is the flight is 7:30am. we would have to leave our place around 3:30-4am to make it in time to check in.... hence, a hotel room.

Quote Originally Posted by burrcl View Post
    The only other thing I would add to think about, is what if you are delayed at HK, and miss your connection. Will they hold the plane, and how long until the next connecting flight? Does it mean staying another 24 hours to get the next one, or do they have, say, 6 options per day. My in-laws frequently take connecting flights and seem to 50% of the time miss their connections and get to stay in hell-hole airport hotels for the night (then make a huge fuss and get credit towards next flights, must be why they do it as they can well afford direct!). Just a thought...
    i've never missed a connection, ever. the cheapest option has a 3.5 hour stop over in shanghai and returning it's a 5.5 hour stopover. ick!

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    I can totally see why you'd go for the cheapest (though less convenient and comfortable) flight option - but I honestly think you'd be better off skipping the airport hotel. At the most that might save you one hour in the morning. Is one hour's sleep really worth HK$1000-2000? Plus, as someone else mentioned, often you don't sleep well in a strange bed either.

If your flight is 7.30, you need to be at the airport at 6am latest (ok, I know it's meant to be 5.30am - but 6 still works.) From Sai Kung, how long does it take in a taxi to the airport? 40 minutes? I'd aim to leave the house at 5am (and would get up at 4.30 and get the kids up at 4.50am). The tiredness will hit later when you're on the plane, but anything that helps you sleep for a few hours is a good thing in my opinion. You've got plenty of time to nap on board!!

Happy travels!
    shwetakhanna likes this.

from our house it takes 1hr15m to drive... and i'm a fast driver.

lol! i'm going in circles again!... ack! just when i think i've made a decision, i change my mind!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Carang, have you looked at/considered any of the flights ex-Shenzhen or ex-Guangzhou?
    Last time I looked (2 years back) it didnt look like it would be worth it but as you are on a budget it would be something to look at in case they offer some better schedules&prices.

Guangzhou is quite inconvenient but SZ is quite easy these days with very frequent buses from multiple locations.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast