Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

airline suggestions....

carang is offline Registered User

airline suggestions....

ok, i'm hoping to take my two kids to vancouver for xmas this year (sadly daddy cannot come, too). i have 2 options really as i could also fly into seattle...

i've flown so many different airlines over the years because i usually just go for the cheapest fares. there are a couple i swore i would NEVER fly again, but now that i'm searching for flights, i'm waffling. the cost is just so much less...

so, i'm looking at:

korean air-seattle ($21k for 3).... so, i can get 3 tickets on korean air (not bad, travelled them many times in the past). one stop in seoul for only 1 hour, so not bad.

china eastern-vancouver($15k for 3).. a LOT cheaper than korean air & goes to vancouver...but it has a 3.5 stopover on the way to yvr and a 5.5 hour stopover on the way back. our last experience with them was TERRIBLE. tiny seats, NOTHING for kids. no seat back entertainment, only chinese movies showing from a drop down tv above the seats that none of us could see.

philippine airlines- vancouver (price about $21-24k for 3)

air china-vancouver -- (about $18k for 3) have flown them before. seats tiny, seat back entertainment didn't work (on either flight!). nothing for kids....

cathay pacific-vancouver DIRECT--($25k for 3)

so, my question to you ladies is this: money IS an issue, but i'm not sure which should be my first choice...

the money i save by flying china eastern would almost be my spending money while away (around $10k if you compare to CX) BUT they suck and the flights will be a nightmare....

what do you all think?

*please remember, i pay for flights out of my own pocket. this is not paid for by any company.
    ** willing to accept donations for my travel fund, though!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Cathay Pacific direct.

gracey, do you really think it is worth the extra $10k? like i said, that would pretty much be our spending money....so, the trip would be so much more expensive if we did that.

i'm just wary of "wasting" the money as it's only 12-20 hours out of my life.

jojojo is offline Registered User
    If you're traveling alone with kids, it's always better with direct, so go for CX. Plus with CX, there's inflight entertainment and that's really good to keep kids entertained.

my kids are 5 & 7 years old. they've done this trip many times. they also have their own small tablets with games, tv shows, movies etc on them...when i travel, i pack a plastic zip envelope with stickers, colours, paper, colouring pages, water colour paints, uno cards, connect 4 etc... so i keep them fairly well entertained.

i know that direct would be better (i've only ever flown direct once in 17 years!)...

what i need to know is this: is it REALLY worth the extra $10k?

how do you all make the decision? (and does whether or not your company pay for it affect the decision you make?)

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Depends on what you're going for. If you want to have the most pleasant flight, I'd go with Cathay Pacific. If you're willing to "rough it" this is my assessment of the quality of the flight you'll likely have with each airline, arranged from best to worst below.

1. Cathay Pacific
    2. Korean Air
    3. Philippines Airlines
    4. Air China
    5. China Eastern

If I was in your position, as your children are older and could possibly be entertained with materials you bring on board yourself (Portable DVD players are getting cheaper and cheaper just check out the DSC Centres like something like this: http://www.dsc.hk/view_ecat.php?pkey=147021. VCDs aren't the most awesome quality but you can pick up boatloads of them for $20 HKD in HK) you could just take the cheapest flight (the difference between China Air and China Eastern, as you know is insignificant) and pocket the money in savings and then do more fun stuff while you're in Canada.

While traveling with small children (still in diapers) I would want the best flight that I can afford for comfort because it's enough stress to deal with crying babies and all that.

But, with older kids who can self-manage, just consider it a really long road trip where you need to pack your own amenities. Don't expect much but definitely spend that $10K in Canada on things more worth your money.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    my kids are 5 & 7 years old. they've done this trip many times. they also have their own small tablets with games, tv shows, movies etc on them...when i travel, i pack a plastic zip envelope with stickers, colours, paper, colouring pages, water colour paints, uno cards, connect 4 etc... so i keep them fairly well entertained.

i know that direct would be better (i've only ever flown direct once in 17 years!)...

what i need to know is this: is it REALLY worth the extra $10k?

how do you all make the decision? (and does whether or not your company pay for it affect the decision you make?)

As I said, I think that paying $10K more for the direct flight is only really worth it when you have small children whom you physically have to carry yourself or transport from place-to-place. Older children are a totally different scenario altogether.

And yes, definitely, whether the company is paying or not has a huge influence on our choice. This summer we're going back to the States and my employer is footing the bill. Of course we did have limitations on how much we could spend (no first class for us) but I did tell them that I wanted a specific flight route and would not settle unless I could have layovers in the certain cities I wanted (also no direct-flight option available for us because of where I live). So, there are actually only two carries that fly that specific route and I chose the one that is most comfortable for me.

But...if it had been coming out of my own pocket, well...let's just say we wouldn't be traveling at all this summer as it's way too much for us to spend at peak season. But, I would have been taking the cheapest route and that isn't really so much determined by carrier for me but where we have layovers and for how long. So, we'd likely have 3 really long layovers (4-8 hours each) but now we have 2 short layovers (2 hours each)--thanks to my employer footing the bill.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

thanks, thanka. i was hoping you would answer!

i may go for the korean air. the stop over is short, basically off of one plane and then get on the next... just enough time to stretch the legs and let the kids have a run.

it's not the most expensive, but it's not china eastern, either! i REALLY don't want to fly china eastern unless it's absolutely necessary.

as i said, the kids have the tablets so games/movies all-in-one (and only $700 each!)

thanks, guys! i just couldn't bring myself to spend so much on cathay...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast