Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Need some guidance for first timer

TCBear is offline Registered User

Need some guidance for first timer

Hi,

My wife is now 6-7 weeks pregnant and I want to know if we're on the right track. We just registered at Princess Margaret hospital, and they booked two appointments for us. One was something called USDN in the 13th week and I think they said that was for downs syndrome testing, and the other was an 'antenatal assessment' in the 17th week.

What do we do now?

To be honest I was expecting a lot more. I thought maybe we would talk to an OBGYN or something. I thought maybe we would have a lot more checkups and appointments. Also, they didn't mention anything about booking a room/bed for delivery... Do we just show up when we go into labour? I kind of figured we would have a bit more guidance.

The hospital gave us a pamphlet that mentioned antenatal checkups at an MCHC. Is is where we go for more frequent check ups?

I also can't wait to find out the gender. When does this happen? I had a thought that maybe they don't do this in Hong Kong/China because Chinese parents might abort if they find out its a girl... A terrible thought, but I remember hearing about it in China especially with the one-child policy.

We are also planning a vacation for the summer. A month and a half of traveling around Europe during weeks 18-23. Is that crazy?

Please let me know if we are on the right track. Any advice or encouragement would be most welcome!

AmyH is offline Registered User
    With the public hospitals that is pretty much all you get! MCHC will have a lot more appointments that the ones that you were given. The information the hospital gave you were just for the scans that you will be having. If you go online you can see which MCHC centre is closest and just go there to register and your appointments will be given to you then.

A lot of people book extra appointments with a private OB for extra scans and to find out the gender ( I am not sure if public hospital will tell you this).

You just show up at the hospital when in labour as, when you registered, that was you booking a bed!

The travel to europe shouldn't be a problem as long as everything is going well and there are no complications (i did it from 22 - 28 weeks on my second).
    Last edited by AmyH; 05-01-2012 at 02:22 PM.

mumtobee is offline Registered User
    Hey TCBear,

Congratulations first thing!!!
    i am from tung chung as well and 9 weeks down.
    well this is what i did.. i first went to the medical center and got myself registered der(they'l need both ur hkid's and letter from the doctor)
    And after a series of interview tests and check ups they will fix up an appointment for you at princess margret..which in ur case has already been done.. the appointments in the medical center happens less frequently in ur early stages of pregnancy and more during the last few weeks of pregnancy.
    and in any case of problem they'l call you for further checkups and treatments..
    ur visit to the PMH will happen once in a month or two(not quite sure but was told this during my check up) and that will be notified to u during ur visit to the medical center.. as far as ur bed is concerned, it should not be a problem. u can ask them the next time u go der..
    checkups scans can be done private also.. many ppl prefer going private for the checkups and scans and public for the delivary.. so there you go..
    and abt the sex of the baby: u will knw that only after 20 weeks and that is not a problem here as they give you the details with pleasure when asked. one-child policy is a headache in china and not in hong kong.. so have no worries..
    hope this helped..have a safe pregnancy:)

charade is offline Registered User
    I delivered at a different private hospital but from what I understand, if you go straight and register at the hospital (instead of the nearest Maternal and Child Health Centre near where you live), they will do a couple of appointments with you at the hospital (and the ultrasound scans are always at the hospital) and then if the pregnancy is low risk transfer you (your wif in this case) to the local MCH. They never take appointments before 10 weeks or so, I guess they will do a basic assessment at the ultrasound appointment at 13 weeks and then a more detailed one at the 17th week appointment.

The MCH appointments should be at the standard regular intervals at which she will see a nurse/midwife. If there is something that needs to be checked with a doctor, they will have her see one at the MCH. And if it's deemed more complicated, she will be referred back to the hospital to have her checks there and ultrasounds/further tests will be arranged if necessary (otherwise you basically just get one ultrasound in the public system).

Having regular ultrasounds is not necessary but if you want them, being your first pregnancy and all, you can visit a private Ob/gyn and alternate visits. The public system doesn't mind you skipping appointments, except for from week 35 on or something (you can clarify that with them). You can take your private reports to them at the public visits and they keep them on file. They actually recommend you get a detailed morphology scan at 20 weeks privately (costs around 3000) because they are no longer providing this free.

About the bed, once you've registered there will be a bed for you. And yes, you just turn up when you go into labour and they will admit you. All this will be explained to you further down the line. If your appointments are at the MCH, tehy will give you a pack to take to the hospital with you.

About the sex of the baby, here it's the norm to know the sex and if you don't want to know, you have to tell the doc becuase often they just assume you want to know and tell you.

Happy Pregnancy!

TCBear is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for the help and advice. I went to he local MCHC and had a bit of a funny exchange with the reception there. We went in and asked about check ups and stuff. We told them we already registered at PMH and they basically said that's it. I asked them if we needed more frequent check up and they basically said they had no idea. They basically said to wait and see what the doctors at PMH say when we go for our scans later. I guess I expected some sort of schedule for check ups and instead it's more like we take it one step at a time.

charade is offline Registered User
    I have begun to get the feeling that there is some sort of rivalry between the hospital system and the MCHs, although they are supposed to coordinate. Anyway, since you registered at PMH and they booked you for an appointment there first, the MCH is right in telling you that you would have to follow-up with PMH. So either you would have all your appointments at PMH or they could at some stage transfer you to the local MCH.

The reception staff can vary in terms of English communication skills but when you have your appointment there is generally a consultation with a midwife or if youre at the hospital with a doctor. And they'll normally assign you someone with decent English skills. So fire all your questions at that person who you have the one-on-one with.

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    I have just been through PMH so I can give you some further details about the antenatal check ups there. You were right to register at the hospital first. You will have your first 1 or two appointments there and then if the hospital feels that you have a low risk pregnancy you will be transfered to the nearest MCHC(so that is why the MCHC could not give you any information when you went in there) if you are found to be high risk then you will continue to have check ups at PMH.