Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Looking for primary school in Sai Kung area

Kingkong is offline Registered User

Unhappy Looking for primary school in Sai Kung area

I am looking for a primary school for my 6 year old who will finish kindergarten this July. We just started school today (yes, that's right) because we have just moved back to Hong Kong from China. In fact we were very lucky to find a local kindy to accept him for such a short period.

I am now faced with the dilemma of going into round 2 of primary school selections. I rang the Local ones but was told there are no spots left. Does that mean I will have to find something much farther away?

Are there any things I can do? I heard I have to go door knocking to each school. Is that true? (if so it sounds ridiculous!)

Does my son's ability to speak fluent Cantonese, Mandarin and English help?

What good local schools are there in the Sai Kung or nearby area? I don't want the traditional type schools where they have heaps of homework.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung Lee Siu Yam Memorial Primary School is pretty good. my son attends it as do many other expat and mixed kids. there are 2 classes per year: english & cantonese. so, if accepted you can choose which language your son learns in.

I would go in and have a talk to them. they are very nice and will hopefully point you in the right direction. they are located on the waterfront next to the swimming pool.

BUT, ALL local schools give homework! they do have after school homework help classes which are free if you want to enroll your son in that. how much homework your son has depends on how much he finishes at school, no?

AgnesForbes is offline Registered User
    My eldest has yet turn 2 and already I am having headache thinking about their education.

I have set eyes on local schools since that would mean the kids would definitely be exposed to both languages (Chinese and English). I dont mind them coming home having to do homework. I am a Singapore bred Singaporean and doing homework, to me, is natural. honestly being in a chinese environment is more crucial since it is such a difficult language to learn.

Also, I am not confident in the ESF system, as it seems a little too easy, and I have heard that the children are not learning much... i.e. not being able to do math, etc... I certainly hope my children are able to do simple math since the school fees are quite high.

However, I was told yesterday that the local school system keeps changing the syllabus and the teachers themselves could not keep up with the changes and/or not experienced in teaching the new syllabus that are included.

this is just getting more and more exciting, isnt it?????

many expat, mixed and local kids attend Lee Siu Yam Memorial Primary school along the waterfront, beside the public pool.

my son attends the chinese stream, but there is also an english stream.

as for kindergartens, my two attended Sai Kung Lok Yuk Kindergarten. we've always been quite happy with it. my daughter is now in k2.

oops! just saw i've already answered this post. ;)

Kingkong is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone. I have heard a lot of good things about Lee Siu Yum. However they are full. I even got the principal of my mindy contact them (not sure if that would make it any better).

Apparently I just have to register with the Board of Education and wait until I get an allocation. If Im lucky I MIGHT get in.

Oh well, it all comes to luck now....

you might still get in.... we know someone who was in the same position and they got a P1 space for the current year.

good luck!

meg
    meg is offline Registered User

Question for Carang

Hi Carang,
    I saw another post you mentioned about sending your children to lok yuk kindergarten in saikung and now this one about the local primary school. We are moving from NZ to Saikung in August with our 4.5 yr old son and after reading your post was keen on sending him to the local kindy and school in Saikung as we would love him to learn Cantonese (we adopted our son from HK 4yr ago). Did your children know any Cantonese before they went and if not do you have any tips to help them with the language initially? I appreciate any insights you have to offer. Our son is a shy little man and I worry he is going to be completely overwhelmed by it all. Thanks Megan

the teachers at both schools are used to kids starting with "0" cantonese. they say that in the first year, the kids mostly listen. in the second they start trying to communicate and in the third, they are well adapted and can handle what is "thrown" at them in kindergarten.

my son was very shy, too... still is. the teachers at lok yuk are very kind and caring. my girl still attends K2 there (she's 5.5 years) and loves going to school.

my kids knew a little bit of cantonese as their dad is local, but honestly, we NEVER use cantonese at home. my son used to refuse the idea of it. he had a very serious discussion with me when he was about 3...."mummy, i am NOT 1/2 chinese! i don't like to speak chinese. i don't like to watch chinese tv. i don't like to listen to chinese stories. i am ONLY english!"

funny, now, he's 7.5 and in P1. he LOVES doing chinese homework! and he has good marks to boot!