Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

St. Teresa's Hospital

HappyHappy is offline Registered User

St. Teresa's Hospital

Hello everyone!

We are trying to choose between private (St.Teresa's) vs. public hospital (Queen Elizabeth.) Can you offer any information regarding support for breast feeding; keeping baby with mommy and visiting hours for daddy?

Seems to be more post for hospitals on the HK island side...

Thank you and ANYONE else who can offer information.

Papaya is offline Registered User
    I had a friend who gave birth in St. Teresa 4 years ago and 18 months ago. Went to visit her there in early labour and then when the baby was born.

Early in labour she was all straped up to the bed. Both deliveries ended in cesarians although it was not what she wanted. The cesarian rate is very high.

All the babies were placed in a nursary and if anyone wanted to see them, even Daddy he had to wave a piece of paper with a number. There are mostly mainland Mum's there.

I also lived just opposite QE and have visited and also know people who gave birth there. It has a very public feel to it and facilities don't look that great. But everyone who I know that gave birth there had less intervention and natural births. I think you have more access to baby. Down side is they don't guarantee that hubbie can stay with you for delivery.

Either way I think you need to be very prepared for what you want and be ready to challange doctors if they don't agree with you. Good luck!

HappyHappy is offline Registered User

Thanks for your reply!

Does anyone have info that is more recent?
    A lot can change in hospital quality/policy within almost 5 years...
    Nevertheless, thanks Papaya!

Catalu is offline Registered User
    I am due to give birth in 8 weeks and I am registered at QEH, would love to hear from anyone that has delivered their baby there.
    cheers.

solidstars is offline Registered User
    I gave birth a st Teresa 3 years ago. They are very pro- bottle feeding. The nurses didn't seem very happy when I had to visit the feeding room every 2 hours to breastfeed my baby. They kept telling me to bottle feed. Just FYI. But my doctor never pushed me for a ceasarian

HK Foodie is offline Registered User
    I just put some info about QEH on my thread "Public Hospital (Queen Elizabeth) Queries".
    Probably a bit late for you now though...

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User
    My friend delivered at St. Teresa's and it's horrific for breastfeeding. As mentioned above, they insist the moms go to the nursery to feed the baby and will just give them bottles if they are crying- even if you tell them not to. Unbelievable, that people are paying private hospital fees to get that type of treatment. In the end, my friend was never able to breastfeed her baby and she blames the rough start at St. Teresa's.

If you are at all interested in breastfeeding, I wouldn't give birth at St. Teresa's. The public hospitals are more supportive of breastfeeding.