Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused first time mom

sams is offline Registered User

Confused first time mom

Hi Ladies,

I need your advice for purchasing baby stroller.

I am due to have my first baby on 22 June but will soon move to UK after 3-4 months. What kind of stroller do you think I should buy? My mom will be coming to Hong Kong during my delivery form UK. Is it best to purchase stroller in UK itself or is it better to purchase in Hong Kong? If UK is better then I could ask my mom to buy it. I am confused on whether to buy in HK or UK and what type would be good.

Thanks
    Sams

charade is offline Registered User
    I would suggest just not to buy a stroller and buy it when you get there (unless strollers are substantially cheaper here than in the UK which I think they are not). In the first 3-4 months you might not end up using a stroller much at all. I barely did.

carang is offline Registered User
    i agree... you can use a sling for the first 6 months without much problem (unless your baby is 20lbs at birth!)... i would just buy it once you get there.

archerbaby is offline Registered User
    I have a 4 month old and live in London, though am moving to HK in two weeks. I have a Bugaboo Bee and love it! Not sure where you are moving to in the UK but i found the Bee perfect for travelling around London as I could carry it onto buses and up and down stairs if necessary. It is the ideal city pram as it is so compact and light. I have also flown to Ireland and back with it three times with the maxi-cosi car seat and have found that it is very easy when travelling. From various HK forums it also sounds like it is a good pram to use there. I personally didn't find it that easy to only use a sling in the early days. It was great to get my baby into the pram and out for walks/lunch etc most days and he slept very comfortably in the Bee. Hope that helps.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    I personally think you'll need a pram (or lie-flat stroller) here for the first few months. Yes, a sling is convenient - but it's HOT! Think how hot you get in the summer here even without a baby cuddling into your chest! A pram with a clip-on fan for the baby is much more comfortable for both of you.

I agree the Bugaboo Bee seems a good option, or you could buy a second-hand stroller here (that reclines to 180 degrees) and then buy a good one in UK that will see you through the next 3 years.

marie313 is offline Registered User
    I heard that mclarens are cheap in the uk? if thats true, you could get your mum to bring one over. I have been through so many buggys, and wish i had just got a mclaren in the first place.

sams is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all your suggestions :)

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    I think it depends where you live in Hong Kong, and where you'll be going. We have hardly used our stroller in the first year and only now starting to introduce it as the baby is getting heavier for my wife to carry (still fine for me).

The crowds, hills/steps and narrow/poorly surfaced pavements mean using a stroller can be a real chore here. Like I mentioned, it depends where you live in Hong Kong... but generally I would delay your purchase till you go back to the UK. Pick up an Ergo baby carrier with the infant insert for the 3-4 months you're in Hong Kong - it's also great for the flight home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast