Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital

FishMama is offline Registered User

Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital

Hi all, my OB has referred me to the Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital (mouth full), as an option for my delivery.
    Having never been to a HK hospital as yet I'm not sure what to expect. Most of my friends (mainly expats), will only use Matilda.... is there going to be a big difference. My main concern is language, I speak English and can just about say 'hello, how are you' in mandarin...
    Has anyone delivered there recently or are you using that as your delivery hospital?
    I'm also slightly concerned about privacy, I gather at private hospitals you get a room to yourself, but public you don't - how many people to a room?

Thanks in advance.

Have noticed that the St Pauls hospital is literally like a 10 min walk from my house, has anyone used them?

Last edited by FishMama; 05-04-2012 at 04:37 PM.

charade is offline Registered User

Of course there will be big difference - Pamela Youde is a public hospital, Mathilda is a very expensive private hospital. At the latter you can expect luxurious rooms and most of your requests catered to. At the former, you will get decent medical care but will have to fight if you want to deviate from their delivery norms (like walking around not attached to machine during active labour... you can walk around in the ward before you are dilated to a certain extent determined by them).

The good news is that Pamela Youde is, from what I understand, the only public hospital in Hong Kong where you can opt for a private room after delivery and pay a reasonable room rate but not have your entire antenatal charges retrospectively charged at the private rate.

mazamarie is offline Registered User

I gave birth at Pamela Youde 9 months ago. The nursing staff all spoke some level of english and you will normally have the ones who speak better english be the ones looking after you. All the doctors that I saw spoke very good english.

The private rooms they offer are semi private so 3 in a room . You can only apply for these rooms on the day you are admitted as it is on a first come basis. They are only available for Hong Kong ID card holders. From memory it is $2600 per night and you must pay a deposit of $14400(4 nights) and they will refund you the difference once you are released. Also the visiting hours are all day which was great.

I was actually in for a c section due to medical issues and was there for 4 days and all staff were wonderful.

I think if you miss out on the private room there is 6 beds in a room in the normal wards.

Any other questions feel free to ask.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

marie313 is offline Registered User

I had both my babies at Pamela Youde. Like Charade said, you will not get much choice regarding the birth - they expect you to lie down with a belly monitor from the second you go into labour. You don't get to walk around or anything like that. If you fight it, they will bend a little, but not much!
    However, I have to say they were excellent. The staff were (mostly) lovely and caring, and i didnt mind sharing a ward with others. I paid a total of $350 for the birth and 2 nights stay.

FishMama is offline Registered User

Thanks both, very helpful info.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Hi there. I gave birth to my daughter at Pamela Youde in March 2011. As far as public hospitals go, I think its one of the best. Partly because it's not nearly as crowded as many of the others and it's one of the most recently built hospitals in Hong Kong.

You can read about my full birth experience here: http://www.geobaby.com/forum/thread150249.html

During labor I was not in a private room. I was in a room with another woman, separated by a partial wall and a long curtain. This was probably more uncomfortable for her than for me because I was very vocal during labor and she wasn't.

We knew about requesting the semi-private recovery ward so we made sure that my husband did the paperwork for that as soon as I entered into the hospital. We were granted a space there. It was really great. That ward was lovely. They really did cater to everything I asked for and did so with a smile and compassion. Actually, there were only 2 beds in my side of the room. The ward had 4 beds in total. But there was a seating area between the two sides of the ward and both sides of the ward had a bathroom--only one side had the shower. At any rate, it was totally worth the $7K extra or so we paid (I stayed for 2+ days).

But, it won't be Matilda. It will be a public hospital. But, we didn't have to pay $50K+ for a birth and the medical care was good. We had a specific birth plan in mind and because we stuck up for ourselves, we got almost what we wanted.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by marie313 View Post
    I had both my babies at Pamela Youde. Like Charade said, you will not get much choice regarding the birth - they expect you to lie down with a belly monitor from the second you go into labour. You don't get to walk around or anything like that. If you fight it, they will bend a little, but not much!
    However, I have to say they were excellent. The staff were (mostly) lovely and caring, and i didnt mind sharing a ward with others. I paid a total of $350 for the birth and 2 nights stay.
    I have to say that that's what they expect but that's not what you have to do. My husband and I made our wishes very clear and refused to do what we didn't want to do. I didn't lie down at all during my entire time in labor there (4 hours)--except for a few minutes when I needed a rest during a contraction. I walked around--and I was never monitored the entire time. But, I also didn't choose any interventions such as augmentation or pain meds--didn't even use the nitrous...so they couldn't insist I lay down. We went in prepared--very prepared and so basically they did what they had to do and then left us alone and that was perfect. So, if you do push, they will have no choice but to comply with your wishes--you're not in prison, you're in a hospital--you still retain your rights.

The staff in the labor ward we had were mostly snotty (see my birth story for details) and rude and didn't do much at all during our labor. But the staff in the recovery ward were AMAZING! But, I had the special recovery ward--I don't know what the general ward is like.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK