Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Natural Miscarriage - urgent advise

Kame_kirikiri is offline Registered User

Natural Miscarriage - urgent advise

I had a miscarriage about 8.5 weeks ago, initially the doctor advised me to have the tablets or the operations route. But I am still thinking as I cant decide, but these two days, I am seeing some bloods, and whilst I went to toliet this morning there seems to be some amount of blood, not in pain

I was advised by queen mary hospital that if I see blood then I should go to the A&E and they can refer me quickly of treatments. If I go to A&E, then its most likely an operations that I will need.

But now I am slowly seeing more blood, is it best for it to pass out naturally? I am in between passing out naturally, if I do roughly how long it will take? or I should go to the A&E today?

Any experience people in the forum would help or advise.

Many thanks
    Aki

Zergmei is offline Registered User
    I think it really depends on how far along in the pregnancy you were, before the miscarriage. 8.5 weeks seem like a very long time ago for the body to continue to think its still pregnant. There's probably a thick lining built up and it will be quite a lot to clear.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I'm sorry for your loss. I think you should go to the doctor today.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I'm sorry for your loss, waiting so long doesn't make it easier. I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks, and decided to wait. I started to lose blood about 8 to 10 weeks later, just during a few days, and I thought that was it, but then the "stuff" came out, foetus and placenta. It lasted 2 days. I have to say it has been really painful, physically, so if you have painkillers, might be good to take one.
    Then I had a few blood loss, lasted maybe 2 or 3 days.
    I went to see my obsetrician the same week, I had a scan and she confirmed it had all gone. I never had surgery and was happy about that.
    I suggest you wait a day or two.

Kame_kirikiri is offline Registered User
    thank you for the note, sorry for the mixed messages, after pregrant for 8.5 weeks, now moving to 9 week. My doctor confirmed last week that , I have a silent miscarriage. So the advise is let it comes outs naturally, or should I go to the hospital as that is signs of blood now?

Many thanks

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    As you are bleeding the miscarriage has started and there is no benefit going to the A&E unless you want to have a D&C (operation) which it doesn't sound like you do. It sounds from what you said in your post as if that is what they would do at A&E as there is nothing else apart from pain relief that they could do - no point giving you the tablets now as they are just to start the miscarriage off and that has already happened.

I mentioned in a previous reply to you that I have had one D&C and the rest just happened naturally (once started by the tablets, other two started on their own). How long it takes varies from person to person, the time the miscarriage starts and the size of the foetus. All of mine were over in about a week or so.

As Frenchy said, the first day or so it was just some bleeding and for the miscarriages around 6-7 weeks it was like a bad period, the one at 11 weeks I actually had contractions (only for a short period of time) after the initial bleeding and passed the foetus and the sac. How long it takes really varies as I said, but if you were still bleeding after a week I would definitely see a doctor. If you feel unwell at all or have any concerns prior to that see a doctor anyway.

If it makes you feel more comfortable you should see a doctor straight away and you should once the bleeding has stopped anyway to check your body has passed everything and you don't need any further treatment. But i suggest not going to A&E unless you want an operation as that it seems that is what they will suggest.... Good luck with whatever you decide.

charade is offline Registered User
    Dear Kame_Kirikiri, so sorry to hear about your loss. I may be too late with this, but asked my sister about the D&C. If you do decide to have one, she said it wasn't painful during or after. She opted for it as she was told that sometimes the body doesn't expel everything naturally and she would have had to have the D&C anyway and at that point, she just wanted the whole experience to be over.

Hope things go well with you.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I am very sorry for your loss. When I miscarried at 11 weeks, I opted for a d&c because I was ready to get it over with (I had been spotting already, but the heart was still beating). It feels to me that 8 weeks is a long time to walk around with something that is not "right" in your tummy. In the US they wouldn't allow me. The chance for infections, etc. would go up as well. Anyway, I would contact your doctor and discuss the options. The d&c was easy, 15 minutes, out of the hospital 3 hours later (and I had very low blood pressure could have been earlier), and no spotting / bleeding afterwards. It is done under general anesthetic though. Good luck!