Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Time Magazine - Are you Mom Enough

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Thought this commentary was good as well about how the media takes everyone for a ride.

And to charade, doesn't it seem like an oxymoron to have parenting be nothing BUT "child-centered"? I mean, I guess there are a range of ways it can be "child-centered" but in reality parenting is about taking care of children.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Oh, this is gooood. I almost cried. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Another good one.

Mother of Two

charade is offline Registered User
    Thank you Thanka2, the first link made me cry as well. In all the furore, I am yet to come across one good reason why someone shouldn't breastfeed a toddler if that works for them. All I hear is - not good for their development (but nothing to back that up) and ew, gross. The irony is that I would never do it myself (mainly because I find breastfeeding a literal pain in the boob) but I don't see that as a reason why someone else shouldn't.

Now, can someone tell me where I can read the actual Time article for free (because I object to their stupid headline but mainly because I am cheap)?
    thanka2 likes this.

Lali07 is offline Registered User
    As a new mother I didn't specifically set out to follow attachment style parenting, I just did what felt right for us. It was how I was raised, and so naturally how I would choose to raise my family.

I also feel a little sad when people say attachment parenting is “more about the mother than the child”. This shows such misunderstanding, and if you knew that I hadn’t been out alone since having a baby, or hadn’t slept uninterrupted all night since having a baby, you might rethink that ill-informed opinion. I’m not in any way complaining, I love my life as a mother and wouldn't change a thing. I don't feel like a martyr or deprived of a life, I just recognize that these years in my child’s life are more critical to him than me.

I’m not saying I’m a fan of the Time article, I thought the photo was ridiculously posed, unnatural and uncomfortable – who nurses standing on a chair anyway? It was the wording I found most offensive - attachment parenting is what the majority of the world’s parents practice, albeit without the label, so why people think it is extreme or strange is beyond me (some might say its far more extreme to wean to a bottle shortly after birth, or leave a baby to cry?). I also think its unfair to compare mothers - of course we are all “mom enough” - we’re doing the best we can, none of us are perfect but we are all raising our children with love in our own way.

As for the brouhaha surrounding nursing a toddler, why? The worldwide average is 4 years. If you think it’s inappropriate or sexual then gosh you’ve got issues. A child has no idea that breasts can be sexual parts; so projecting adult ideas onto a child is what’s inappropriate.

Nursing a toddler is completely normal and natural. The popular opinion that it has no benefits after 12 months is fallacy. Aside from filling nutritional gaps in diet, here are some of my main motivations for breastfeeding a toddler:

Immunological: You immunize your kids right? Breastmilk can be thought of as ‘micro-immunization’. Packed with white blood cells and antibodies, it provides a level of protection against day-to-day illnesses. Developmental: The long-chain fatty acids in breastmilk are important for nerve growth, most critical in the brain and eyes. Emotional. Breastfeeding helps soothe trips to the doctor, long haul flights, jet-lag, falls and injuries, teething, sickness, frights etc. Anti-Allergy: Breastmilk contains anti-allergy and anti-inflammatory properties, which according to research provides some protection to anaphylaxis.

Having said all that, it’s nobody's business how a mother chooses to feed or raise her child. If she has made that informed decision for herself (not pushed into it by healthcare providers, media, family or whatever) and is comfortable with that choice then great!

Why make a fuss?
    Honkyblues and nino like this.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Oh, this is gooood. I almost cried. :)
    oh, puhlease.
    Time magazine is (rightly) being taken to task for using controversial imagery. How is the above any different..Tugging at parents heart strings to push a different agenda....

Another good one.
    Indeed good; much better and sober look at the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    oh, puhlease.
    Time magazine is (rightly) being taken to task for using controversial imagery. How is the above any different..Tugging at parents heart strings to push a different agenda....
    Just another take on the story. Everyone has the right to tell their story and everyone also has the right to feel how they want to about the story without being mocked and made fun of. The above article was the testimony of one woman that I found touching. I will not apologize for being touched by it.

As a man who has, I assume, never had the personal experience of breastfeeding a child, I find your remarks the least qualified in this forum. Quit your bullying please.
    shwetakhanna likes this.

Mother of Two

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Just another take on the story. Everyone has the right to tell their story and everyone also has the right to feel how they want to about the story without being mocked and made fun of. The above article was the testimony of one woman that I found touching. I will not apologize for being touched by it.
    No one has asked you to apologize, stop being so sensitive. I was not criticizing you but rather the story which is using the same tactics as time magazine to push its own agenda. By the same token, when I appreciated the second story, it had nothing to do with liking/appreciating you; just the story.
    As a man who has, I assume, never had the personal experience of breastfeeding a child, I find your remarks the least qualified in this forum. Quit your bullying please.
    The story has as much todo with breastfeeding as manipulation of the general public by media. As an avid reader as well as a parent, I'm well qualified to comment and make judgement on various forms of manipulation. If you dont enjoy my commentary, feel free to use the ignore link and you wont see a peep from me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12