Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Time Magazine - Are you Mom Enough

Editor is offline Administrator

Time Magazine - Are you Mom Enough

Time Magazine's coverage of Attachment Parenting and the controversial cover "Are you Mom Enough" of a Mom nursing a preschooler has upset hundreds of Moms across the world.

Read the background behind the cover and share your thoughts here:
    Attached Images Attached Images

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Happy Valley
    I was looking at Magazines over the weekend and noticed that the cover in question is not available in Hong Kong. The story is in this week's magazine but its being sold with a different cover (french elections)...Havent read the story yet.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    how can they imply that just because you breastfeed until the child is school-age, that makes you a better mother???

to each their own....

not my cup of tea, and while i don't understand and would be uncomfortable having my own children (not babies) breastfeed so long.... that really doesn't matter. what matters if if THAT mother is comfortable with it.

i think i take more issue with her seeming attitude in the picture. it seems to say, 'go ahead and say something.... i DARE YOU!'

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    As a cover, sales for the issue will certainly go through the roof. Unfortunately , the confronting photo distracts the very interesting topic of attachment parenting. Some call it a desperate, cheap shot.

I personally have no issues with the cover or the photo. It just made me curious about attachment parenting as it is not a parenting style for me but I respect those who chose this route. So in this respect, I would say its an effective cover.
    charade likes this.

Gemma is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    To each his own re breastfeeding your 3 year old. I just wonder if the woman had thought about how her son will probably hate high school, before agreeing to the shoot.
    evgreen likes this.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Tai Tam
    i really wonder at what point where attachment parenting becomes more about the mother than the child.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I think that when it comes to specific "schools of thought" on parenting (such as "attachment parenting") it gets just about as uncomfortable as being around people who are absolutely fanatical about their religion...I would say that "parenting types" is a new type of religion and for some people it's just more than we can stomach to hear people endlessly go on about how great they are and how wonderful their view of the world is and how everyone else is doing it in an inferior way (whether it's spoken or unspoken, that's the message because why would people crusade so hard for a view unless they felt they were absolutely correct?) It creates an "us" vs. "them" mentality that is not at all welcoming.

So, while many people choose to opt out of religious debates just because rarely does any good come of them, I choose to avoid all the "parenting types" conversations. If people ask, I can tell them what works for me but I don't find it beneficial to have to be a part of "movement" so I can have a "self-identity."

I don't think we need to slap a label on everything to have a sense of self. Be confident in who you are and what you do and be open-minded.

In some ways I think that the way I approach parenting may have some overlap with what is labeled "attachment parenting." I prefer to parent MY WAY which gives me to freedom to pick and choose what works for me without having to be part of a "school of thought." I do follow some AP blogs and FB pages etc. and while some of the information available through them is beneficial, man, a lot of the people who use those resources are super snotty or militant.

As far as extended breastfeeding goes, I thought this article was interesting.

But, we all know that the cover of Time is just sensationalism...just like the infamous "Tiger Mother" article of a year ago. :)
    Honkyblues, carang and rebekah like this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

charade is offline Registered User
    The Tiger Mom article was the first thing that came to my mind too. It seems that this cover has generated a lot of discussion while I wonder how many people have actually read the article - I tried but it needs a subscription. So a successful cover but I'm more curious about what's inside.

And as for labels, on these forums someone mentioned they are not a fan of "child-centered parenting". I had a LOL moment. Isn't all parenting supposed to be child-centered?
    thanka2 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast