Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Advice on having other children with you when n labour at matilda

Tasha2303 is offline Registered User
    Matilda were no help at all, and said they could not accommodate such a request!? What having two children wait in a private room with my husband keeping an eye on them???
    Rent a mum want about $2000 per day plus $500 per night to be on stand by as of course I don't know when we might need them. So not an option.
    Rani did you ask Adventist or just turn up with your family?

rani is offline Administrator
    We didn't plan it. It just happened. I was admitted in the hospital in the morning. Everyone was really excited and my parents, sis and niece all arrived at the hospital after lunch. They just waited in my room until baby was born at 6pm. Had a private room and they weren't in anyone's way.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    Tasha, it might be that if there is another adult who is able to stay ALL THE TIME with the children in your room that the midwives might overlook it (in Rani's case, her parents and sister were there). But if your husband is going to be with you for the actual birth, then the children will be unattended - and that puts the hospital in a tricky position. It's not the midwives' job to babysit your other children, but the hospital would probably be liable if anything happened to them while they were left unsupervised. I can see their point of view, but I know it's frustrating for you.

I suspect that your body will be cooperative and go into labour at an opportune time (e.g., a Saturday morning) so your friends can help out and look after your other children. When I was expecting my second child, I was really fretting about leaving my 21-mth-old at home (especially if it was night time) - but I think my body knew that and I went into labour at 6am, got to the hospital at 8.30am, gave birth at about 10am and sent my husband home in time to give the 21-mth-old lunch (and then bring him in for the afternoon). Similarly with the third child, I wanted my husband to get home in time to give the two older ones their bath and put them to bed. After 10 hours of no progress, my body went from 0-10cm between 3 and 4pm in the afternoon, I pushed the baby out in 20 minutes and my husband got home for the evening routine. Have a stern word with your body about timings and see what happens! ;-)
    carang and shwetakhanna like this.

Flack is offline Registered User
    As well as Honkyblues comment about the children being unattended, your room may not be ready until after you deliver depending on how busy the hospital is, and the time of day you deliver. If the private rooms are full you may be put in a shared room anyway so you wouldn't be able to have the kids in there while you delivered.
    It is something I am worried about too and haven't come up with any good solutions as I know my child will be distressed being away from both of us for that length of time, but I guess she (and the person looking after her!) will just have to manage.

Yes Honkyblues I completely agree and you pretty much said the same as my husband, that it's not the hospitals problem to babysit the kids. I just had it in my head that the kids could just be in our room as my 11 year old is more than able to look after her sister. As Flack quite rightly pointed out my room might not even be ready!
    I'm stuck and just haven't a clue what to do. I think the kids are going to end up being with someone they don't know, which makes me feel rubbish.
    I wanted a home birth but my hubby wouldn't let me, that would have sorted everything!ha ha
    Honkyblues that's so funny your body did as it's told, I really hope mine will be the same. I will def have a word ; )

Biggie is offline Registered User
    On the maternity floor there are couches near the reception, and chairs outside the private rooms. If you show up with the kids and the room is not ready, they can wait in the common area. Hospital can't really ask you to take them home when you are in labor, right?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you every one for your help. We now have some friends that will look after our daughters. We have been completely overwhelmed by the amount of offers we have had of help. Lovely to know there are so many nice people around us : )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12