Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

I am losing weight, is it normal

dressuphk is offline Registered User

I am losing weight, is it normal

Hi~ I have just been told by friends that I have lost weight etc. a few weeks back. I went to doctor's appointment & checked my weight, and found that I lost 2 kg since I am pregnant.

I have slight morning sickness but only vomit once or twice a week. I eat 3 times a day same amount as I ate before. And I go to the gym as usual but not as active as before.

I don't see any reason that I would lost weight since my weight has always been very stable. I am quite slim and don't think it's normal to loss weight like this?!

I read that some ppl have very terrible morning sickness and that's why they loss weight, but for me I think there's sth. else...

I am only 10 weeks pregnant and nobody can see I am pregnant yet.

Help pls.
    mummy mummy hooohooo

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    I remember in my first pregnancy I lost a bit of weight too but started to gain steadily on my last trimester. In the end, I gained 8 kilos & lost 13 post pregnancy due to breastfeeding, lack of sleep, etc. My baby was born 3.03 . I'm a skinny little thing & I've never really put on much weight. As long as your doctor says you're fine, baby is fine & you feel okay, I wouldn't worrry.

carang is offline Registered User
    for first pregnancy, most people won't show at only 10 weeks! (i was one with terribly morning sickness. i lost 20lbs over the first trimester and was only 5lbs heavier the day i gave birth compared to the day i got pregnant).

here's some information about week 10....

http://www.pregnancyguideonline.com/wk10.htm

dressuphk is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    for first pregnancy, most people won't show at only 10 weeks! (i was one with terribly morning sickness. i lost 20lbs over the first trimester and was only 5lbs heavier the day i gave birth compared to the day i got pregnant).

here's some information about week 10....

http://www.pregnancyguideonline.com/wk10.htm
    Morning sickness for me is real "morning sickness" as I only feel it in the morning... I have found a good remedy for it these day - eating crackers & drink waters only in the morning.

I am secretly hoping I don't gain too much weight - a bit scared to look fat ;) Am I crazy to have this thought?
    mummy mummy hooohooo

carang is offline Registered User
    you're growing another human... it should be expected that you look a little on the heavier side for a while! your body will never be the same again... get used to it, hun!

HappyHappy is offline Registered User
    Some women look great after childbirth (little to no weight gain due to breast feeding, small & youthful). My sister was like this. While others (my cousin) were left tens of pounds heavier than they ever were in their lives with big legs and thick ankles. She looks like a totally different person while everyone we know thinks my sister looks better... Haha! Don't worry DRESSUPHK, each person's body is different. Just because some women change dramatically doesn't mean you will...

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    With my first pregnancy I probably lost about 5-8 kilos in my first trimester. I didn't have much morning sickness. I never vomited the entire pregnancy. But, I didn't have much of an appetite. I would eat but in smaller portions and I simply wasn't as hungry as before. Also, I think that it was a really emotional time for me and a lot of my energy was spent on thinking about the pregnancy and my uncertain feelings about it. I was as active as before but often people would say to me, "You've really lost some weight!" I could fit into clothing I hadn't been able to previously. I didn't start really "showing" until I was about 14-16-weeks pregnant to where those who didn't know me well would guess I was pregnant. So, I think weight loss in the first trimester can be pretty normal as long as there are no other major health conditions. The baby is still very, very small and the placenta is also not that big--it's a process. However, in the end of my second trimester I gained a lot of weight all at once. I gained something like 10+ kilos in one month. The doctors were pretty shocked by that but it made up for my previous weight loss too. It all evens out in the end. Don't let the HK docs scare you at this point. Just eat a balanced diet. Get more protein and healthy fats into your diet as well as lots of green vegetables.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by dressuphk View Post
    I am secretly hoping I don't gain too much weight - a bit scared to look fat ;) Am I crazy to have this thought?
    No, it's not crazy to think this--it's pretty common.

But, "looking fat" is definitely not the worst thing that can happen to a person. Believe me. Nothing like pregnancy and childbirth to really confront a person with her own body image.

I was always quite thin my entire life (and pretty flat-chested too). I went on hormonal birth control when I got married and immediately gained about 7 kilos. I went off hormonal birth control because I had some dangerous health problems associated with it. I immediately got pregnant, unintentionally, (in less than one full cycle) and thus my "hormonal roller coaster" continued.

Now, I am the heaviest I have been in my entire (non-pregnant) life. Although most people couldn't guess this by looking at me because of how I carry the weight, I'm actually about 25 kilos heavier than I was when I got pregnant with my first child.

I've had to go through the process of learning to love "the new me" and let me tell you it's not easy. I lost about 15 kilos after I gave birth to my first child but gained it completely back with my second pregnancy and I'm still breastfeeding my daughter so hormonally I'm really not in a good position to lose any weight right now. I've worked out, ate well and toned up but haven't lost a single kilo in over a year. In my experience, after I'm done breastfeeding, within 3-6 months, the weight will start melting off on its own. As long as I breastfeed, no hope of that happening. That was how it went with my first child.

But, I say all of this to agree with carang. Your body WILL change with pregnancy--even if that doesn't mean you weigh more--a body that has carried a baby will never be exactly how it was before it carried a baby. For some women this means nice surprises like larger bust size and a more curvy figure that they've always dreamed of having. For others it means excess and stretched out skin (even if they remain thin) and saggy breasts. My mother-in-law had horrible lower back pain until after my husband was born and then somehow that pregnancy cured it for her. You never know what the "new you" will hold in store. And mentally and emotionally you'll change too. It's such a huge metamorphosis, I think.

And I have to be honest, it's not always easy to come to grips with it but I think it's better that women who have been through it share honestly about the possible pluses and negatives. There is nothing to fear but do be prepared that pregnancy, childbirth and being a mother will change you in unbelievable ways.

Here is a great resource that helped me.

carang and cuppatea like this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast