Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

What would be on your get-ready-for-a-baby shopping list?

MarieHK is offline Registered User

What would be on your get-ready-for-a-baby shopping list?

If you were make a list of everything you need (necessities - not fun extras!) to be ready for a new baby what would be on it?

I don't know where to start!

Thanks

Marie

charade is offline Registered User
    1. Bassinet (something that can be moved around, NOT cot which just took up space for 4 months)
    2. Diapers and wipes
    3. Onesies and clothes that button down the front (not too many, hard to estimate babies size and what will suit baby... my first could only wear things that buttoned down the front and turned out way smaller than we'd thought.) I highly recommend second hand clothes so you don't end up spending a pile of money on clothes that you end up never using.
    4. Soap and lotion
    5. Cotton wool, earbuds and alcohol to clean umbilical chord
    6. If you plan to breastfeed at least three sets of pajama tops that open down the front. Clothes that open down the front in general.
    7. If delivering in winter, swaddlemes. You can also use a cloth to swaddle but I was inept and these were sooo used.

Things used a bit down the line (so could be bought after a month)
    8. Bath tub
    9. Bottles, sterilizer (I used microwave one)
    10. Formula (if need be...I kept one can from day 1, quite easy to just go out and buy if needed).
    11. Cot
    12. Stroller (used MUCH later for both babies who turned out to be to cannot-be-put-down-or-we-will-wail sort)

Never used
    13. Baby monitor (houses in HK are too small, baby snorts and you hear it in the next room)
    14. Baby Bjorn (both babies didn't take to it. Luckily mine was secondhand. Baby 2 took to being slung in cloth like Indonesians use. Cost $50).

burrcl is offline Registered User
    On the other side to this, my son had grown out of the moses basket by 6 weeks so had to go in his cot, so looking back I wouldn't have bothered with it.

We used the baby bjorn constantly (granted didn't try other slings). The BB we used when in taxis as we didn't have a car seat, and I wanted something that gave a little bit of security when in cars rather than just holding the baby.

Also need muslins or the like - need lots of them to start with! I also found a bath insert a great help as it meant I wasn't worried about the baby slipping out of my arms whilst trying to bath him - can just put in the big tub if you don't have a small one.

carang is offline Registered User
    i never understood the need for "muslins"... i just used an old hand towel...

a newborn really doesn't need very much.
    -diapers
    -a few sets of clothes
    -a place to sleep

if you are breastfeeding, that's about it. if you are bottle feeding... then you need the bottles and assorted paraphenalia. (sp?)

everything else is a luxury. i remember bathing my cousins in the kitchen sink... which is exactly what my mum did for my brother and i when we were kids.

you can make it without a pram, a baby sling, a breastfeeding pillow.

what it really comes down to is this:
    (1) how much space do you have?
    (2) how much money do you have?
    (3) how much luxury do you want?

i'm not judging someone who wants to spend more on their pram than i did on purchasing my car. but for us, we tried to keep it as basic as possible... but even then, it gets out of hand very quickly! ;) it's just too much fun, especially when it's your first!

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    On the subject of breastfeeding tops, I found ones that unbuttoned down the middle were much more exposing than loose tops I could lift up. The baby (and/or breastfeeding pillow) hides your stomach or you can wear a Bando or wear a drop-cup breastfeeding vest under your loose top. I just don't want you to go out and buy a bunch of button-fronted pjs and shirts and then find you're not comfortable flashing the world (or at least, that's how I felt with the button-fronted tops).

But it really is difficult to say what's essential because each child is different. My first HATED the Moses basket, but was happy to be in the bassinet part of the pram (which I then wheeled into whatever room I needed him to be in). He also hated all slings (and I tried a few). My second was also not keen on the Moses basket, but was happy in the Bugaboo pram bassinet, but he loved to be in a sling. By the third, I'd got rid of the Moses basket!

I used a small inflatable baby bath on the vanity unit next to the basin for the first couple of months, then a bath insert in the normal bathtub (but I'd only recommend a bath insert if your tub has a low side otherwise you'll hurt your back!)

I only bought some basic sleep suits for each baby as relatives and friends tend to buy clothes in any case.

As for muslins, I found them invaluable - but I had sicky babies and was forever wiping up milky spit-up. Also used them as burp cloths on my shoulder. Handy to drape over a push chair as a sunshade or to help baby sleep. Even used them as a thin blanket when the room was hot. Six years on I've got the same muslins and they still get used as hankies, wipes, comforters etc by my children.

Thank you so much. This is a huge help and I appreciate what you said Carang about keeping it simple. I'm not I will be able to refrain myself as much as you did though!!

Love your point about not needing a baby monitor in Hong Kong. How very true and I would not have thought of that in advance!

Thanks for the advice on the feeding tops - I was hoping to keep clothes to a minimum. Interesting also that we can buy all these things in advance and then the baby won't like them anyway!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast