Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Urgent - will mastitis cause substantial reduction of breast milk?

decbb is offline Registered User

Urgent - will mastitis cause substantial reduction of breast milk?

I started to have mastitis on my right breast from Monday evening and have been taking anti-biotics (augmentin and cloxacillin) and pain killer since Tuesday afternoon.

My milk reduction (especially the left, not right breast) then dropped drastically and the milk has becoms very diluted since Wednesday evening - my left breast can now only pump out 20 ml milk every time, which is almost 1/3 of my usual production.

I'm extremely worried that I will be running out of milk within a few days time. Can any LLL tell me whether substantial reduction of milk is a symptom of mastitis and this is only temporary?

Many thanks in advance.

LaLecheLeagueDB is offline Registered User

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're suffering from mastitis! Thats no fun….

The mastitis itself shouldn't cause significant reduction, as production is regulated primarily by supply-and-demand. The great news is, problems are generally not permanent if responded to promptly. There are lots of things you can do to re-boost your supply, the primary one being nurse nurse nurse. It can take a day or two to see results, so don't be disheartened if at first you don't feel a change.

Here are some things you might like to try:

- Nurse/pump as often as you can, some can be longer sessions, others shorter, as many you can manage.
    - Rest. Don't stand when you can sit, don't sit when you can lie down!
    - Keep up your fluids and nutrition.
    - Heat therapy prior to nursing/pumping (heat pack, warm shower).
    - Very gentle breast massage, only if it is comfortable and not painful to do so.
    - Cool packs after nursing/pumping to help reduce inflammation.
    - Try placing the flat end of an electric toothbrush over the inflamed area, to help break up any blockages.
    - Consider changing positions, and ditch any tight fitting bras.
    - If you still feel your supply is lower than usual, you may like to consider a galactogue - either a herbal or prescription medication to increase production.

Another thing to be aware of, is sometimes after taking antibiotics, an overgrowth of candida can occur. So keep an eye out for nipple pain, redness or dryness, and be ready to treat candida (thrush) if this happens.

It would be great to have a little more information from you, so we can look more specifically at ways to help. Perhaps you'd like to email me directly at [email protected] or call me on 64080752.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Elena
    Leader - La Leche League Lantau