Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

New Vs. Secondhand

  1. #9
    carang's Avatar
    carang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    6,259
    30 deaths out of how many babies? (ctually there are on average just over 4,000,000 babies born in the usa each year... and while i agree safety should be a concern.... 30 out of over 4,000,000? that's 0.00075%)

    as i said, it depends on the design.
    surely making the matress too low and the sides too high, so someone with shorter arms has to "drop" their baby into bed isn't an intelligent design?
    Last edited by carang; 05-21-2012 at 12:24 PM.

  2. #10
    carang's Avatar
    carang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    6,259
    remember, the usa is also the place where they now have to print on the side of take away coffee cups: "caution: hot"

  3. #11
    2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    as i said, it depends on the design.
    surely making the matress too low and the sides too high, so someone with shorter arms has to "drop" their baby into bed isn't an intelligent design?
    Nope, that's a stupid design. A better design is a 3 level adjustable crib without drop sides.

    As I said, the chances of this affecting any single baby are low - but if a simple design change can save any lives then I'm happy to support it.

    I certainly don't think your argument "this is a stupid idea because only a few babies died" holds water better than the one the Consumer Product Safety Commission is making.

  4. #12
    howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    Latest recommendations from US Consumer Product Safety Commission prohibit drop-side cribs entirely. Seems sensible to me.
    Whenever a new rule is proposed by a group who stand to gain huge amounts of money from the said rule, you should really think about it and examine it very carefully:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,1578820.story

    There was nothing particularly sensible about this ban. Profit motivation drove the whole process from start to end.

    Anyone who gets seriously upset by a couple of dozen baby deaths over a period of a decade should look at pedestrian and traffic death&accident statistics for kids...

  5. #13
    carang's Avatar
    carang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    6,259
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    Nope, that's a stupid design. A better design is a 3 level adjustable crib without drop sides.

    As I said, the chances of this affecting any single baby are low - but if a simple design change can save any lives then I'm happy to support it.

    I certainly don't think your argument "this is a stupid idea because only a few babies died" holds water better than the one the Consumer Product Safety Commission is making.
    yeah, so what i said, 'depends on the design' is right.....

  6. #14
    2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    yeah, so what i said, 'depends on the design' is right.....
    No, not really. Any drop-side design is slightly more dangerous than any non-drop side design. That's why the manufacture of drop side designs is now prohibited in the US.

  7. #15
    carang's Avatar
    carang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    6,259
    which do you think is more dangerous:

    drop side cot

    or

    dropping your baby into a rigid sided cot because you can't reach the matress

  8. #16
    howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    Any drop-side design is slightly more dangerous than any non-drop side design.
    You are 100% correct, every so slightly more dangerous just the same as a regular car being slightly more dangerous than a 7 seater people mover. But we dont go around banning normal cars and forcing people into bigger versions for safety sake...

    Also, it is worth noting that this product was extremely useful to parents and the number of deaths were tiny. More kids died from choking on HotDogs (about 50 per year) than this. This turned out to be cause-de-jour for the media so they hyped it along.

    That's why the manufacture of drop side designs is now prohibited in the US.
    Incorrect;
    Fact : Manufacturers had already stopped producing these couple of years before the ban due to recall and liability issues
    Fact : ToysRUs, biggest seller of cribs had stopped selling them for almost 2 years previous to the ban.
    The ban was helped by the manufacturers themselves for profit reasons. If families were stopped from lending/selling these beds to one another they would have to buy a new and approved crib which made manufacturers huge amounts of money.
    Last edited by howardcoombs; 05-21-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted: Baby Plus New or Secondhand or rental
    By ceceilia in forum Preparing for the Arrival
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Scroll to top