Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Tranverse Lie position at 36 weeks - Queen Mary

HKHelena is offline Registered User

Tranverse Lie position at 36 weeks - Queen Mary

Hi there,
    I'm 36 weeks pregnant with my first baby and it was confirmed today the little guy is in tranverse lie position. I am due to give birth at Queen Mary and my next checkup is 1st June. After doing some research I'm a little worried about the significant risk of cord prolapse if my water breaks.
    Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation recently and can offer me some insight as to what will happen if he doesn't turn - will they book me in for a c-section prior to his due date?
    Thanks, Helen

charade is offline Registered User
    Hi, I have a friend who had a baby in transverse position and they checked her into hospital for a month due to the same concern that you mentioned. This was United Christian (also public) but maybe because she was alone at home all day, they felt it was safer she be in hospital. She had a c-section scheduled. I think she was offered the option of ECV... suggest you read up on that and see if it's something you would consider.

laial is offline Registered User
    Transverse lie is a tricky one. You are right that the biggest risk is cord prolapse if your water breaks, so make sure you know what to do in this situation, and aren't too far from the hospital.

ECV could be an option, but often even if the ECV is successful, transverse lie babies are usually quite stubborn and turn back. Another option could be ECV followed by "controlled" artificial rupture of membranes. I'm not sure if they would do this at QMH but this is when they get you into hospital and ready for a Caesarean should things go wrong (usually around 37-38wks), they then do the ECV and with continuous pressure on your tummy to make sure baby's head stays down, they break your waters, make sure the cord doesn't prolapse - then when the amniotic fluid beneath baby's head has come out and the head descends into the pelvis and the cord is out of the way, you might have a chance for a vaginal delivery. The other option (and more common option) is to do an elective caesarean section. There is limited research, so it's hard to say which is the best way to go - you just have to weigh up the benefits and risks.

Personally i would just go for the caesarean, the risk of cord prolapse is just too much of a risk for me to take. You should talk to your doctors about it.

HKHelena is offline Registered User
    Thanks very much for your replies ladies - I had my appointment today and am very relieved to find out he has turned and his head is down. Phew. Thanks again for your help.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    I kept meaning to reply to this and never got around to it.
    Pleased to hear baby turned head down. My first two babies were transverse until 36 and 37 weeks respectively. My 3rd was still transverse at 38 weeks so I was given the option of staying in hospital until I went into labour naturally (no thanks!) or being induced. They broke my waters, manually turned baby and then the rest of labour progressed naturally.