Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Best sling for an older infant?

evgreen is offline Registered User

Best sling for an older infant?

Ok so LO is almost 8 months old and very mobile these days. I used the moby sling when she was a newborn and loved it for keeping her close and snuggled up. Problem is, there is just too much fabric going on. I also have an ergo which I find comfortable, but bulky and not very elegant. I'm interested in a shoulder sling for a good hip carry position. Something light, easily foldable and NOT bulky. Maya wrap? Slingling? There are so many options...

carey is offline Registered User
    I have a sling call "kid carry". It's like a hip carrier with a shoulder strap. The seat for the bbay is like a saddle. It does have more fabric than the hip seat but the additional shoulder strap saves my back. It can be a bit warm wearing it in the summer but it works perfect in Hongkong where indoor space is lots and well-aircon. It's a bit bulky if you have to carry the carrier around as the seat (like a saddle) is not foldable. It does take up one of your hands when you hold the baby.

But it's like God-send to me. Both of my sonss are tall and heavy weigh. My 13 month old younger son weighs about 13kg. I used it with him since he was about 5 month when his neck is strong enough.

You can easily "mount" the baby onto the seat. Compare to wraps or ergo type, it gets better when they become toddlers.They can get "on" and "off" easily.

I got it from Yata department store in Shatin, Kowloon. Try this link http://www.citybaby.com.hk/products/details.php?id=520. They sell it online.

I introduced it to several other friends, they all love it.

mumsy is offline Registered User
    I have the maya wrap, hotsling and slingling and would recommend the latter two for hip carry.

Both the hotsling and slingling are one piece of fabric which have enough 'give/stretch' to make it comfortable. Some versions also have a padded edge to cushion the baby's legs. The only downside is that you have to buy the size to fit your frame, so another carer may not be able to use it. However, I've since seen some adjustable hotslings - still one piece of fabric but with 3 buckles to adjust the length.

I didn't really like the maya wrap as I found there was too much fabric and the ring was fiddly to use. Also as my baby got heavier, I found that the maya wrap does not hold it's shape too well and the fabric would pull down several inches from the ring.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I love my pouch sling (slingling). It is easy to fold and carry on my bag. Might not be as comfortable as the ergo, if you need to carry your LO for long time, but it is very convenient if you just need to carry him/her for short time.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Has anyone tried Sakura Bloom slings? I'm loving the chic linen options... they seem perfect for hot and humid HK. I have a little shrimpie...only 6.5kg!!