Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Anyone experienced rather heavy bleeding in first 3 months of pregnancy??

jill2012 is offline Registered User

Anyone experienced rather heavy bleeding in first 3 months of pregnancy??

am at 8 weeks pregnancy now. Since the past two days, I started to bleed a little, since it was only a little, (last month around menstruation time I also bled a little), I didn't really mind, and went for a swim last night, with hindsight, i shouldn't do that at all. because 1.3hour swim (more like 40m swim rest of time just resting in water) really made me feel quite exhausted.
    and today, gradually over the day, the light bleeding turned into heavy bleeding, even during normal menstruation, i rarely bled this much, also with some solid materials......
    am really worried now but don't know what to do at all, will try to see if i can book an appointment with the new doctor tomorrow (who's reccomended by Grace cheung given she couldn't take me on anymore)...

just wondering, did anyone at all, experienced period-like rather heavy bleeding in intial period of pregnancy, and did the baby stay fine in the end? did anyone continue to have the monthly bleeding till late stage of pregnancy?? is there any medical measure that can be taken without harm to the baby?? and when you do experience the bleeding, what can you really do about it? there isn't any way to stop it, or is there?..

really feel rather helpless and frustrating for not being able to do anything, butt praying that the baby is strong enough to bear with me....
    Last edited by jill2012; 05-27-2012 at 10:54 PM.

carang is offline Registered User
    you need to go to the doctor! if not to the a & e dept, then first thing in the morning!

if i were in your position, i would be going to the a & e dept NOW! sadly, you could be having a miscarriage.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    As Cara says, you need to get to your doctor as soon as possible. It does sound like a miscarriage, but you may be lucky - it could just be a bleed. Don't give up hope yet.

Also, don't beat yourself up about the swimming - if a miscarriage is going to happen, it's going to happen.

But my question is, why would you go in the water if you were already bleeding? That's hardly hygienic for the other swimmers, is it?
    carang likes this.

JoyousBaby is offline Registered User
    Hope u managed to see the new doctor and all is well. I bled too and passed out some tissues, but was blessed baby is fine. Please rest in bed rather than go swimming or do any exercise that gonna hurt yourself and baby.
    It was a nightmare for me cos even though I rested the whole day and by walking to kitchen I bled too.

jill2012 is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for your replies, very glad to hear baby was fine with you Joyousbaby.

Honkyblues and Carang, since pregnancy, the spots of little blood happened a few times actually, but really very little,like a drop or two and only occurs at the moment when i goes to toilet, hence on normal basis nothing to notice and never needed to use pads etc, last week i noticed again a bit on thursday, but already gone by friday, i thought right, given i am pregnant and shouldn't menstruate anymore, that drop orso should be the maximum there was... hence went on swimming satureday night.....definately wouldn't have gone if i was still bleeding on the day, didn't bled either on satureday night, only very very tired, then it started a little on sunday morning and by the afternoon...got a lot worse.

seeing the doctor in 2hours, plan to do a scan and hopefully, am as lucky as Joyousbaby.
    it's indeed very nightmarish, very good lession learned only hoping not too late, it's hard to not regret about the swim, or something i'd drank or eat or done or haven't done....ah, of course all people react to things differently and i just should have been more careful..
    Last edited by jill2012; 05-28-2012 at 02:18 PM.

inkmink is offline Registered User
    Fingers crossed baby is fine!

You sound very calm and honestly a lot of people would have panic even if they see a spot of blood the moment they are pregnant! I have a friend who lost quite a bit of blood including clots of blood. She thought she had a miscarriage and were pretty much inconsolable until the doctor confirmed baby was fine and it's only some tissues/uterus lining. She was ordered to rest in bed for 2 weeks. Her son is now 7yrs old.

Please rest as carrying a child does take a lot of nutrients and energy out of you. Don't tired yourselves out. The moment you are pregnant, life is no longer the same.
    satay sue likes this.

carang is offline Registered User
    miscarriages don't happen because you ate or drank something you "shouldn't have". they don't happen because you went swimming, they happen because there is a problem between your body and the embryo. you have NOTHING to feel guilty about at all!

if it doesn't work out this time, perhaps it will happen again in the near future for you.

good luck!
    satay sue likes this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    With my first pregnancy, I bled (spotted) about 7-8 weeks and went on to have a normal pregnancy and give birth to a son who is nearly 5-years-old now. With my second pregnancy I bled (spotted) and then started, like you, to pass clots, around 10 weeks into pregnancy and that was indeed a miscarriage and I lost that child. With my third pregnancy I bled (spotted) and it started to get heavier. I was then on progesterone supplements for the first three months and my daughter was born healthy and is nearly 1.5-years-old. So, bleeding doesn't necessarily mean miscarriage but I would definitely be concerned if I was passing large pieces of tissue or the blood was a lot--that's not a normal thing at all. It's best to go to the emergency room, in my opinion. I hope that all is well.

Oh, and also, really, whether you swam or not will not have any effect on the outcome of this pregnancy. So, rest assured in that.
    Last edited by thanka2; 05-28-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast