Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sazzy
  • 1 Post By m_c

Daddy can't be there??

RinkoWingman is offline Registered User

Daddy can't be there??

People,

Is it true that in public hospitals they don't allow the father to be with the wife during labour?
    I hear they just call you in for the actual birth part..but for the rest mommy has to do it all by herself.. is that so?

That would be a good reason to go private..right?

Thanks!

Ow, and anyone who's pregnant.. congratulations!

carang is offline Registered User
    public hospitals are just that, for the public. as such, they have to take into consideration ALL of the patients, not just the ones in labour.

hubby is allowed once the active labour has started and mummy is in a delivery room. for the part that the mummy is in the ward, daddy is allowed into the ward during visiting hours.

mummies very often want to move around during the first hours of labour, so you will often see women wandering the halls with daddy tagging along behind.

for c-sections: if it is a scheduled, non-emergency daddy is usually allowed. if it is an emergency c-section, daddy is not allowed.

if the above is reason enough for you to pay $100k, then that's fine. for some, it is a deal breaker.

for us, we could think of 100k reasons why it wasn't a deal breaker for us.

charade is offline Registered User
    My understanding that in most public hospitals, dads are allowed in during active labour (this is determined when your cervix is dilated to a certain extent, or contractions at a certain interval or you need to be induced etc.) When the mum is in active labour she goes to the delivery suite and then the dad is brought in. Before that, she is in the labour ward. I didn't find it that bad.

However, I read on these threads of one public hospital that seems to not commit to dads being allowed into the delivery suite. I would therefore confirm with the public hospital I was registering at what their policy is. For me, my husband not being allowed in for active labour would be reason enough to look at my budget for private. Or more likely, register at a public hospital where I could be sure he would be allowed in. My husband being there during the really really painful part was a big help.

For c-sections my understanding is a little different from Cara's - that being a surgery, dads are not allowed in. But I had an emergency c-sec for my second baby, so I can't be sure.

no, they ARE allowed if it is NOT an emergency. (at least they were back when i was pregnant.)

sorry, i should also add that if the c-section is performed under general anesthesia (mummy is completely asleep), then daddy is not allowed in either, even if it isn't an emergency.

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    I gave birth at QMH (natural birth) When you arrive at hospital, you go to the admissions ward. Daddies are allowed in to carry your bags and then they must leave. This is where you fill in the paper work and wait. Once you are 3cm dilated (i think), you can move to the labour ward PROVIDED THERE IS A BED AVAILABLE and this is when daddies can join you. Once you have delivered etc and everything is ok, you are then moved to the ward and daddies are only allowed during visiting hours. This is obviously crap but we paid HK$250 and we were home after 2 nights.
    carang likes this.

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    I gave birth at PMH in April and my husband was able to be with me. I was not on the ward at all as I waited at home as long as possible (6 hours) before going to the hospital and had my son within 5 hours of arrival (first child).
    I was concerned that my husband wouldn't be allowed to come in as at one of my final antenatal appointments I did ask about my husband accompanying me and I was told that if they were busy he may not be allowed in as "there would be no one to look after him if he passed out." I really could not beleive what I was hearing from the doctor!! But in the end it all worked out and I was very pleased with my delivery at PMH and would go back there if I was to have another child. The other reason being the cost difference between public and private!
    carang likes this.