Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Cmv?

SLPmom is offline Registered User

Cmv?

Hi everyone,

I am 10 weeks pregnant and new to these boards. My doctor called me yesterday to tell me that I tested positive for CMV. In the United States, where I am from, this is not usually tested for, so I am totally freaking out as I never heard of this before. I had more blood taken today and will have results in two weeks as to whether this is a primary case or not.

Has anyone tested positive for CMV? I am not sure how concerned to be but am currently assuming the worst.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Since its a very common and very well documented virus, dont freak out and dont assume. A few quick internet searches will get you answers you need.

Here is a good start : http://kidshealth.org/parent/infecti...galovirus.html

Gemma is offline Registered User
    Are you sick at the moment? Or is this part of a pre natal check up?

the test they usually order is cmv IgG. If positive and you are well, it just means you have had it in the past. Very common and nothing to worry abt.

If its positive and you are NOT well, then the doctor may go on to order more tests to see if you have other antigens related to cmv that may indicate a current infection. Having cmv while you are pregnant can cause problems to the unborn child.

These further tests are expensive and if you are not unwell, I am wondering why your doctor ordered them as you cant vaccinate against it anyway?

Thanks for the reply.

I think that I am well, however, the test tested IgG and IgM both of which came back positive. I have had a sore throat but assumed this was due to bad reflux. I haven't been feeling great but assumed this was due to being pregnant. I have worked with children by whole life so I though I would have immunity to this virus by this point. However, the presence of the IgM is what is causing me concern.

Has anyone else has had this experience and turned out to have had it in the past?

Gemma is offline Registered User
    That clarifies things a little, and I understand your concern of transmitting it to the baby esp if it's a primary infection.

I don't have personal experience so can't help you there. But don't assume the worst, it could still be a reactivated or recurrent infection. And even if it is a primary infection, the odds are still with you that things are going to be ok.

Good luck!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I haven't had personal experience with CMV but I've read a few blogs written by people who were exposed during pregnancy:

This one: http://mamapundit.com/2010/08/happy-15-to-my-sweet-j/ - she was offered termination due to the possibility of her child becoming disabled as a result of the CMV exposure. After deciding to terminate, she backed out at the last minute. Her daughter ended up being born healthy and not disabled.

This one: http://howlifehappens.blogspot.hk/ - she didn't know about CMV until after her daughter was born. Her daughter was affected by the CMV and as a result does have hearing loss (which is corrected by cochlear implants) and cerebral palsy.

Did your doctor advice you on what CMV does or might mean for you? From my understanding, there's such a wide range of possible outcomes. I don't understand exactly how it all works though, so please talk with your doctor...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I found out at 14 weeks that my daughter had a disability - if you need someone to talk to, please PM me... we can even chat on the phone or meet for coffee if that would help.

Hello,

I just wanted to update this in case someone else finds themselves in the same position and comes across this post. After 2 agonizing weeks waiting to get my avidity test results (which tells you the age of the virus) I found out that I do not have a primary infection and so CMV wont have an impact on my pregnancy.

Even if you have positive IgG and IgM don't panic as there are apparently an insane amount of false positive test results with CMV.

Scroll to top