Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

travel insurance covering pregnancy?

ems2000 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

travel insurance covering pregnancy?

I am travelling to Thailand for a long weekend in June and will be 33 weeks pregnant.

I need to get some travel insurance - can anyone recommend the most reasonable travel insurance to cover pregnancy?

Thank you!

seejune is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I think you can get travel insurance but it doesn't cover pregnancy - unless its an expat insurance you already had before from work that covers pregnancy. Also need to check whether the airline will let you get on the flight to begin with as I know some of them don't let you get on from 32 weeks on. But it differs from airline to airline

1stmom is offline Registered User

as a general local market practice, travel insurance usually doesn't cover pregnancy or related treatments which falls under the "pre-existing" condition. however, it still covers general items such as medical treatments during trip, loss of baggage/documents, flight cancellation/curtailment, travel delay, etc. Should you wish to apply travel insurance, you may send msg to my inbox.

RileyC is offline Registered User
    HK Island
    The other forum users have covered it as far as risks related to pregnancy are concerned. However, for general travel insurance, I've found Citibank to offer quite competitive rates. They are cheaper than HSBC. As long as you have a Citibank credit card, you can get a quote and apply online up to 2 weeks (?) before your trip. It's very easy and fast.

canadianinhk is offline Registered User
    Sheung Wan
    I used World nomads when I was pregnant. They had travel insurance up to a certain point in the pregnancy. You can look look them up online to see the coverage they provide.

Humbles_mama is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

I'd tried once

Try Bupa (the international one, not local)
    I'd been travelled at 26th week of pregnancy and I'd bought the travel insurance at Bupa. It highlightes its coverage include "pregnancy".
    But most important, get a medical certification from your doctor to ensure u can get on the flight.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    FWIW one thing to watch for on flights when in the last trimester is dehydration which can bring about early labor. Be sure to drink quite a bit of water on the flight. I think the recommendation is 12fl oz (the size of a coke can) per hour in the air. Yes you might visit the bathroom a bit more, but you're probably already making that hike down the aisle anyway.