Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Is it really this expensive....

matemate is offline Registered User
    just came home from matilda from a vaginal delivery with lucy lord of our cutie baby. here's the bill:
    - private room: 47k
    - lucy lord: 47k
    - anesthesiologist: 14k
    - epidurial drug: 6.6k
    - pediatrist for 4 visits: 6.8k
    - hearing check and other drugs: 2.5k
    - ginger water: 1k
    - food for hubby and miscellaneous: 1k

total: 125.9k

and i liked the cashier: "since you paid a deposit of 20k and a further deposit upon checkin of 20k, that's then ONLY 85.9k for you"

mind you, this was a normal, straight forward, no complications vaginal 3-day delivery.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Sounds about right matemate. I had a semi-private room instead and everything came out to just under 100k all inclusive for me at Matilda in October. Even if you know all the costs beforehand from reading this forum, seeing that bill when you check out is still enough to make you look twice!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi, me again! If you have good insurance then they usually have a separate category for "complications from childbirth" or the like. So in my policy, I got US$7K for normal childbirth and then a much higher/or possibly even unlimited for "complications from childbirth" which, in my policy, included an emergency c-section. So we were more comfortable that if we ended up with a HK$300,000 odd bill then we'd be covered from a different monetary cap. This might give you some comfort but do check your own policy to make sure that they have this separate category for emergency c-section.

Also, my policy covered the baby's costs separately from my US$7K maternity cover so her jabs and tests (plus photo therapy for jaundice) were covered under a different amount.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMama View Post
    Thanks all, more stuff to think about. I've already paid the deposit for private so no going back.... Just a little taken back by it all. Weave insurance so should get most of it back, barring any complications.. Maybe it's just coz I'm a first timer, but they really should tell you all of this up front in like a leaflet or something.... But hey ho,guess you don't think about this until your in it.
    You're really fortunate that you have insurance that covers maternity care...can you imagine paying out-of-pocket and not getting reimbursed?! We don't have insurance that covers maternity care and cannot afford to buy that type of insurance. You'll be fine.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Starbucks2, I would read the fine print very carefully. I have the best BUPA world wide coverage and I was under the impression that bubs is covered by a separate 'account' to the maternity one BUT I found out after my delivery that if the treatments were undertaken during the same admission as the birth then it all comes out of the maternity account!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi Mummymoo - I was with HSBC Insurance and baby's photo therapy was covered under her own cover even though it occurred within the 3 day stay for her delivery (which was under my maternity cover). But agree, all policies are different hence the warning to the OP to check her policy. That is a shame that yours didn't cover that. I really liked HSBC Insurance cover. Now my company is now covered with Allianz ...

LOJITT is offline Registered User
    To be fair, some Obs do provide a leaflet that breaks it all down for you, but they don't all do it, and one thing that many patients who are new to private healthcare miss is the fact that the hospital fee is just that- doesn't cover the Ob, the paediatrician or the anaethetist. I had my son at Matilda and I think we came in around HK$100k incl. the ante-natal care, but that was a straightforward VB (with epidural). My son's costs (the paed/ vaccs/ tests) etc were covered by his insurance (AXA through my husband's work)

Another thing re insurance is that often maternity is an "opt in" on work policies, so you choose to pay a bit more for that cover- it's not automatic.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    I was covered by Allianz through my husband's company. They didn't quibble about anything - even though I went quite a bit over the supposed limit on maternity costs. They covered the baby's initial pediatrician costs on my coverage but then covered his stay in the SCBU (oxygen tent, pediatrician visits, hospital charges, phototherapy+ my charges for staying in the hospital longer to be his accompanying parent) under his own cover.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast